Close
    Photos
    View albums

Question

Okay sorry for posting a ton on the list on my first day )
    I'm wondering what is the best diet to be on while I'm taking phen? Typically I eat mostly an "atkins" type diet - high protein, moderate fat, low carb, lots of veggies. I do miss my whole grain oat and flax rolls when I eat this way (toasted with PB...I'm drooling right now). So does it matter what I eat (I mean I know I can't eat junk food) when I'm taking phen? Or should I stick with a low carb diet cause its the only thing that has ever helped me not gain weight?

2. Advertising
    advertising

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I think that it is all on an individual basis. Do what works for you and stick with it. If you find it not working then maybe you can try something else. I do the low calorie diet because I know it is something that I can stick to for the rest of my life. I cannot see myself staying away from carbs for the rest of my life. I say just experiment and stick with what works, but I dont think that there is one that works better than the other.
    ~Amanda~

[URL="http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/"]
    April Fools Challenge

Photos
    View albums

i vote lo-cal. then you can have the foods you like, but in smaller portions. although i am lowering the carbs and upping the veggies.
    5' 9"
    SW 240 1-31-07
    CW 235 2-12-07
    CW 230 2-13-07
    CW 224 2-21-07
    CW 223 2-28-07
    CW 221 3-07-07
    CW 219 3-13-07
    CW 213 4-26-07

GW 175

Photos
    View albums

I had the same question at the onset, Dovelette, as I was only ever successful with atkins. But now I find it more managable do mostly lean protein, veggies, and high fiber carbs. Kind of like a stage 2 south beach. Cals usually hover between 1200-1500. And I drown in water.

Today I was bad, I had less than 1000 cals. Not good to to - your body thinks you are starving it and that slows your metabolism/progress. Sometimes it can't be helped.
    5'9 1/2"
    SW 240, 1/1/07
    172 1/1/08
    GW - 160

"It's not just a diet" challenge:
    SW 175.0 2/15/08
    171, 2/22/08
    ?, 2/29/08 (vacation/weird tummy thing)

GW 165 end of challenge

Photos
    View albums

Here I am again- Just my opinion-
    Atkins worked for me, lost 38#, but missed the fruit and when I went back off it, realized later I was a BAD carb JUNKIE. Period.
    May sound crazy, but once you get the hang of it, and since you are already used to few carbs, you might want to try looking at our thread on idiet4u.com, click discussion board, and then My Modified SHD, it finally broke me of my carb addiction to pasta, potatoes,rice, bread pop, & sweets. You can eat all you want, just different things on different days. But maybe if Atkins has worked for you, it might be good to stay that route. Are you still going the ketosis way, or are you at a maitenence level of carbs? If you have been on it any length of time, you should really have your liver enzymes checked. It was one big consideration I had, that I might damage my liver, but then again I'm having my liver checked once a month on Phen too!

Photos
    View albums

carbs are the "preferred metabolic fuel" .. important in the preformance of aerobic endurance training activities and in anaerobic activities.

Results of a low carb diet ...
    --Normally quick results but normally is only water that is being lost.
    --Boosted lvls of uric acid and ketones can lead to dehydration and kidney damage.
    --Blood volume, muscle strenght and sweat rates drop
    --Decreased alertness
    --Bad Breath
    --Constipation

^^ a good list of things that come with a "low carb" diet.

~*SW = 191.2 (07/03/07)
    ~*CW = 188.? (07/10/07)
    ~*WI = 186.? (07/13/07)
    ~*WI = 188.2 (07/16/07
    ~*WI = 184.5 (07/20/07
    ~*WI = 182.2 (07/24/07)
    ~*WI = 180.6 (07/26/07)
    ~*WI = 183.? (07/28/07)
    ~*WI = 180.4 (07/31/07)
    ~*MGW = 175 by August 19th (port out for one week cruise) *crosses fingers ... please please please!*
    ~*Total GW = 160

http://magiceyez.blogspot.com

Photos
    View albums

My vote is for a low fat diet. I try hard to keep my fat calories at 20% or lower every day. It works for me, but it is a lot of work.

SW 295.5 10/31/06
    GW 145 lbs. by 12/31/2008

"Less of Me for Valentine's Day Challenge"
    SW 229.5
    CW 224 1/11/08
    GW 219 by 2/14/08

In order to reach my final goal weight by the end of 2008, I need a 7.5 lb loss per month. So, a 7.5 lb loss per month will be my goal. Anything more than 7.5 will be icing on the cake I didn't give in to.

Photos
    View albums

M.Eyes. I'm sorry but you're wrong on two counts that are proven in lower carb intake diets.
    *Lowered Cholesterol.
    *Lower Triglicerides
    I have had a cholesterol level of around 245-290, and yes alot of it is the bad, also very high triglicerides. I have tried 3 medications for it that all made me gain weight. While on atkins, within 3 months I had lowered my cholesterol to a record low for me of 170, and triglicerides to 48 from 274. This was verified by my Docter, but its been a couple years and I dont remember why it works on those things. Fact is, you can go lower carbs, and not be in ketosis. I ate only 10-20 carbs a day for 2 months, and only reached ketosis for 6 days ever!
    Within 2 months of taking on BAD carbs again( soda, pasta, white bread, sweets containing flour & refined sugar, and only having gained back 6#, my levels were though the roof again, and have been there ever since, until starting the SHD. Carving refined sugar out of one's life is NEVER bad, and people can get plenty of GOOD carbs out of fruits, 100% juices, and vegetables.
    I dont see a lot of heavy set vegetarians out there. Are there any out there reading this?

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

What is a GOOD amount of carbs a day..Is there a number that we should stay within..Ive been getting around 100-110 a day and try to stay around 1200 cal. a day.. AND how many grams of Protein should we have everyday?.. Thanks..
    HW 232
    CW 220 02/01/2007
    SW 216 on Phen 02/04/2007
    CW 205 02/25/2007
    Mad, back to 209 03/04/07
    CW 199 05/06/07

My first Mini Goal is to atleast weigh less then my husband.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I know many people that have gone on low carb diets such as Atkins and have had severe Kidney damage as well as hair loss. That doesn't sound healthy to me, but whatever works I guess. Learning to eat a health and low calorie diet is probably better than stripping your body of carbs, especially if you plan on working out. You don't have to stuff yourself with pastas, sugars, white flour, etc all the time but in moderate proportions it's not so bad especially with whole grain/whole wheat pastas and breads.

Photos
    View albums

Lipstick,

Everyone is different, but as a diabetic, I met with a dietician and she told me to eat between 135 and 180 grams of carbs a day (between 45 and 60 at every meal). Can't remember how much protein. I want to say like 7 grams at every meal?

The trick is to pick complex carbs like whole wheat products because they're slower to digest and don't turn to sugar quickly. Based on what I've learned as a diabetic, I agree with Bright Eyes - "carbs are the 'preferred metabolic fuel'".

Photos
    View albums

Granted .. there are such things as good carbs and bad carbs ... but these "low carb / high protein diets" are not the best for you.

My trainer told me it should be two for one .. carbs / protein. ex .. 10 grams protein ... 20 grams carbs. Getting it down to the exact numbers while tryin to eat it is hard ofc I understand that ... but my doc and my trainer both told me ... (quoted from my book) ...

"Availability - What we use for fuel depends more on our diet than the actual activity. Our saturation of carbs will impede the burning of fat even in aerobic training. Under eating of carbs will actually slow the burning of fat by reduction in performance and the burning of muscle for fuel. So how do we eat?? A diet composed of 55 % carbs, 25 % protein, and 15 - 20 % fat is the best balance for building lbm and fat reduction."

~*SW = 191.2 (07/03/07)
    ~*CW = 188.? (07/10/07)
    ~*WI = 186.? (07/13/07)
    ~*WI = 188.2 (07/16/07
    ~*WI = 184.5 (07/20/07
    ~*WI = 182.2 (07/24/07)
    ~*WI = 180.6 (07/26/07)
    ~*WI = 183.? (07/28/07)
    ~*WI = 180.4 (07/31/07)
    ~*MGW = 175 by August 19th (port out for one week cruise) *crosses fingers ... please please please!*
    ~*Total GW = 160

http://magiceyez.blogspot.com

Photos
    View albums

Sounds like you have a good trainer that know's his/her stuff.
    I am working to find a balance in my "diet" or should I say food intake because I am not activly "on a diet". I work 12-16 hours a day, and am under tremendous stress 27/7, ( but are'nt we all? :thinking: I am simply NOT able to caount ANYTHING. I only get about 5-6 hours a sleep any night, and I shop maybe twice a month. Hubby and I seem to be sporadic eaters with only being able to eat when we can get a break. It would seem that someone who is self employed should be able to make their own schedule and stick to it, but we are impossibly busy & hiring help is not an option.
    Maybe you would be willing to help me with a few food suggestions I could add? At best the only "program" I have been able to follow even marginally is this Sacred Heart Diet. I think I can somewhat follow it only because I'm not counting or measuring anything, just eating from a list of specific foods, in any amount, on certain days. I KNOW that is not REALLY healthy, so I tried on my own to add protien on the days that had none, and drank fruit juice on the days that had no fruit. I switched from pop, gatorade, and juice drinks to only 100% fruit juices( maybe 2 or 3- 8oz servings a day) had egg beaters or pam fried egg whites for breakfast a few days a week, and broiled salmon or canned shrimp/tuna on my salad, or hard boiled egg whites, and a yolk here or there. I eat at least one bowl of the vegetable soup a day, usually in the evening.
    Most of the carbs I skip 80% of the time now are ones that I have been "addicted " to. I mean it, I was a carb addict to the exclusion of many foods I now eat because of my time on this "diet". I dont eat much bread, actually grosses me out now, no soda or (poweraid type beverages, but that may change when I start working out March 1st)Not much pasta, still occasionally eat baked potato w/ butter buds, and I dont eat alot of meat. I drink a fair amount of 1% milk, alot of fat free sugar free vanilla latte's, alot of fresh fruit or only 100% natural applesauce or pineapple, and fresh salad & tomatoes.
    Sorry I'm sure I'm boring you with all this, it's just that I can't ever seem to put together balanced meals without gaining weight almost immedietly, or overindulging in high starchy foods or quick box meals, its all we have time for besides fast food.
    Any suggestions would be very appriciated.
    Thanks- M
    :heartpump: Every life should have 9 cats!

Photos
    View albums

What about the Lean Cuisine/Healthy Choice/prepackaged route? Some of them are pretty good, are easy and fast, and lots of variety.

??
    5' 9"
    SW 240 1-31-07
    CW 235 2-12-07
    CW 230 2-13-07
    CW 224 2-21-07
    CW 223 2-28-07
    CW 221 3-07-07
    CW 219 3-13-07
    CW 213 4-26-07

GW 175

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

fightin_w8 Those are pretty much what I have everynight. You get use to them..it is a little hard to eat them when I still have to cook for my husband and son. My husband is a huge jock he`s very lean and sculptured and my son is taking after him. My sons on the swim team and im sorda the swim mom so im always cooking high carb foods the day before the meets for the boys..its hard not to eat that stuff instead..but Ive been good and sticking to my frozen prepackaged foods..Yummm..lol...
    HW 232
    CW 220 02/01/2007
    SW 216 on Phen 02/04/2007
    CW 205 02/25/2007
    Mad, back to 209 03/04/07
    CW 199 05/06/07

My first Mini Goal is to atleast weigh less then my husband.

Photos
    View albums

You've got some hard acts to follow, with those guys in the house! But you can do it!!

I try to alternate them with salads, and I eat baked chicken breasts a lot.

I buy them in the bulk family packs, already skinned and deboned, then seperate them into individual freezer bags. Then I can just take one out at a time (for me), and thaw and cook up in a few minutes. If they are really large, then I'll only eat half, and save the other half for a salad.

I am also fortunate that I live in the country, and have a large garden every summer. So I've got lots of frozen, home grown goodies in the deep freeze (squash, tomatoes, corn, green beans peas).

However, I also have the temptation of red meat. My father is a cattle farmer, and so we have our own beef as well. Its very lean, though, but I've avoided it as much as possible since I've started Phen/Lo-cal diet. My husband, though..he's a true blue meat and potatoes kind of guy. So I cook it for him.
    5' 9"
    SW 240 1-31-07
    CW 235 2-12-07
    CW 230 2-13-07
    CW 224 2-21-07
    CW 223 2-28-07
    CW 221 3-07-07
    CW 219 3-13-07
    CW 213 4-26-07

GW 175

Photos
    View albums

Be smart!! Take advantage of the lack of hunger! Yet, don't starve yourself,because your metab. will just slow down and store the little you do eat This is my secret diet and it's super simple. Food-n-Out EVERYDAY, I eat 2 servings of bran, 1 can of collard greens w/onions and turkey bacon, and dinner....whatever. Baby, the greens and bran will have you at 6am every morning giving back to earth.LOL
    RRR4

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I really like the EAS advantEDGE shakes for breakfast or a snack. They are low carb, high protein and have around 100-110 calories. I have switched all breads, tortillas, pastas, etc to whole grain. I have a friend that has been drinking shakes and eating lean cuisines and has lost some weight. I tend to get very sick of LC' though. You could also substitute Cauliflower for Potatoes if you wanted to make 'mock fries" or mashed potatoes.

Photos
    View albums

mieldor76--Great idea, seriously. Makes sense. I've added prunes to my diet during the last day or two, to keep things moving with my cleanse. Love collard greens, too! Also, cabbage and kraut...low cal, low fat, sodium is an issue on the kraut, but its filling...and keeps system moving.

mkat-I'll have to try those shakes out. Fewer cals than Slim Fast has. Thanks for the idea on the cauliflower.

5' 9"
    SW 240 1-31-07
    CW 235 2-12-07
    CW 230 2-13-07
    CW 224 2-21-07
    CW 223 2-28-07
    CW 221 3-07-07
    CW 219 3-13-07
    CW 213 4-26-07

GW 175