• 1 Post By Honnielove
  • 1 Post By pookagirl
  • 1 Post By Andsoitgoes

Thread: Caloric Intake

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Question Caloric Intake

Friends, do you mind sharing the number of calories that you are taking in and where you got that number from
    The reason I ask is that on another thread someone posted that, "you shouldn't take in less than 1200 a day or you store fat instead of burning it." My doctor is the one that told me to eat 1000 cals and no more a day. She didn't give me any instruction on carbs per day, but did hand me quite a thick packet on obesity, which let me tell you was just riveting .
    Anyway, I'm really curious, no judgments, just plain curiousity.
    Oh and if anyone has any great articles they want to link up that would be happily welcomed.

2. Advertising
    advertising

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I know I take in way less than I should but I force myself to eat and do small portions and feel full with Phen. I've been using the app LOSE IT. And track my foods. You can scan or add your foods. I'm probably avg 400-700 cals depending on my wrkouts that week. I have stopped taking Phen a couple days to see if I was content on making the same decisions without Phen making me feel full and I was which gives me hope that when off I can continue this healthy lifestyle!! Started Phen 10/21 this coming Monday I have my dr appt and it will be 4 weeks. I'm down -21 lbs
    Chiquita198126 likes this.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Thanks for responding Honnielove. 21 lbs! That's awesome!!
    Honnielove likes this.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

My doc told me to take in a minimum of 1000 becasue any less will put your body in "starvation" mode but most docs say 1200 just to be safe and keep people from going below 1000. I use my fitness pal and I keep my calories around 1200 and my carbs under 35 grams a day.

SW-185 9/4/12
    CW-150
    GW-125 3/4/13

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I'm at about 1500 calories per day. My doctor wants me to be close to 1700 and add more if I workout. This number will keep me healthy. I eat 1 egg with some cheese for breakfast, 2 apples through out the day, a snack a lunch around 300 cal and dinner around the same. Based on my height and weight, it works good for me. I'm down 9 lbs in 3 weeks, I'm not hungry but I do have to make sure I eat.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

My dr has me on 1200-1500. Going to the higher end if I am doing a big workout. I've been averaging around 1200-1300 since may and have lost 42lbs. The weight loss stalled out in September, in October I started getting discouraged and slipped a bit into my old bad eating habits. I gained 2lbs back and they started me on Phen 13 days ago.

I k ow my doc calcated the calorie limit by figuring out how much I needed bases on height and weight and activity level.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I tend to average around 1200 (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less) I track my calories on my fitness pal as well.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Today is my first day on phen. I cook a lot of one pot meals so I am having difficulty trying to figure out the calories. I am thinking of going back to Weight Watchers and the program doesn't count calories but points. However the last time I spoke with my doctor she suggested 1200 calories/day. I haven't eaten much today so I doubt I've made it to that amount just yet. I still have dinner to eat shortly.

HW: 264lbs
    CW: 264lbs 11/28/12
    GW: 170lbs

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

What type of doctor do you go to? Most doctors here won't prescribe.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Please tell me where is "here"? Don't know know if you're in the states, which city or another country. Thanks.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Pooka- found this for you....

Determine How Many Calories You Should EatHow many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight depends on factors such as your gender, age, height, weight, and activity level. Your body uses about two-thirds of the calories you consume each day just to keep its systems functioning — your heart beating, your muscles moving. The rest of your calorie intake, according to My Calorie Counter, fuels everyday activities like walking around, exercising, typing an e-mail, doing a crossword puzzle.
    To find out your ideal caloric intake, start by calculating what’s known as your base metabolic rate (BMR):

• Women: Multiply your weight by 10. Men: Multiply by 11. This is your BMR.
    • Now add to that 20 percent of your BMR if you have a sedentary lifestyle; 30 percent if you are somewhat active; 40 percent if you are moderately active; or 50 percent if you are very active.
    • The number you get is how many calories you need to maintain your weight.

For example: If you’re a somewhat active 145-pound woman, your BMR is 1,450 calories a day, and your lifestyle quotient is 30 percent of that, or an additional 435 calories. So your daily total for maintaining your current weight is 1,885 calories. If you want to lose one pound per week, you simply need to cut or burn an extra 500 calories a day.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Anything under 1200 NET calories per day is starving yourself. That means if you burn 400 calories exercising you should be ingesting 1600 calories that day. I always like to advise people that if you cut your calories too low to begin with you have nowhere to go when you plateau and you will. You might lose a lot of weight at first, but you will either gain back when you stop the meds or you will plateau and nothing other than going back to healthy normal eating for a period of time then starting over will help. Once your body adjusts to a certain calorie restriction you have to burn more to lose. So, if you start out eating 900 calories a day and lose 20 lbs then you plateau you will need to either cut your calories more or exercise an insane amount to continue to burn. Eventually you have nowhere to go. Losing weight should be about health. Its not healthy to starve yourself. Ive lost 65 lbs using my fitness pal and eating a well balanced diet with whole grains, healthy fats, and lean proteins. And exercise. Ive been off Phen for about 3 weeks now and have been maintaining fine. The first week was hairy, I was hungry all the time, but now that has gone away. My lowest NET calories was 1205/day, I now eat around 1700.
    waterlove likes this.

Photos
    View albums

I'm following the Zone Diet principle when it comes to balancing my meals. I make sure to eat 1 portion of protein + 1 portion of carbs (no wheat, no potatoes, no rice) + 1 portion of good fats. With that proportion in mind, I proceed to count my calories.

I switch from 800 to 1200, depending how much physical activity I'm doing each day. For my ballet class days I eat 1000 to 1200, while for my non ballet days I eat 800 to 1000 (depending if I do my cardio routine at home or just rest my muscles for the day).

Everyone has a different approach to weight loss and, even among doctors there might be contradictory views. I don't believe in the 100% caloric counting approach. For me at least, it has never worked. Neither do I believe in the 100% Zone Diet approach, which states that as long as you're consuming the amount of protein blocks that your body needs you're gonna lose weight and there's no need to be counting calories.

For me, combining my food groups the Zone Diet way and then counting calories is what has proved to work. You should be alright eating 1000 cals, just make sure you're not eating too many carbs compared to your protein intake (beware of high glicemic index fruits, as low cal as they might be). Too many carbs and not enough protein will increase your insulin levels and stop you from losing body fat.
    This is my goal

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Even though this is my second full day it's been about 1300 a day. I don't think I can below that. I'll get too hungry but it's still quite early right now.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLeebean View Post
    Pooka- found this for you....

Determine How Many Calories You Should EatHow many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight depends on factors such as your gender, age, height, weight, and activity level. Your body uses about two-thirds of the calories you consume each day just to keep its systems functioning — your heart beating, your muscles moving. The rest of your calorie intake, according to My Calorie Counter, fuels everyday activities like walking around, exercising, typing an e-mail, doing a crossword puzzle.
    To find out your ideal caloric intake, start by calculating what’s known as your base metabolic rate (BMR):

• Women: Multiply your weight by 10. Men: Multiply by 11. This is your BMR.
    • Now add to that 20 percent of your BMR if you have a sedentary lifestyle; 30 percent if you are somewhat active; 40 percent if you are moderately active; or 50 percent if you are very active.
    • The number you get is how many calories you need to maintain your weight.

For example: If you’re a somewhat active 145-pound woman, your BMR is 1,450 calories a day, and your lifestyle quotient is 30 percent of that, or an additional 435 calories. So your daily total for maintaining your current weight is 1,885 calories. If you want to lose one pound per week, you simply need to cut or burn an extra 500 calories a day.
    Thank you!! When I went in for my one month check my dr I asked her about calories again, bc since i first wrote this I figured that I was suppose to be around 1400 for healthy weight loss. I misunderstood her. She actually said that even on days I don't feel like it I needed to get a MIN. of 1000, and I heard MAX. my bad. I have been eating between 1200-1400 and exercising daily min. calorie burn 213. Its come off quickly since I started that. I'm going to share this with another phen friend.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by dustysbaby View Post
    What type of doctor do you go to? Most doctors here won't prescribe.
    I see my GYN. She is the only dr in my town that will prescribe. I currently live in AR.

Bronze Phenster Barbara Mccleskey's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

Pookagirl what part of Ar. do you live in? I also live in Ar. I live in Fort Smith.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods