• 1 Post By Summer9
  • 1 Post By Clover
  • 1 Post By olympia

Thread: Atkins

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Default Atkins

Has anyone tried Atkins while taking Phen?

2. Advertising
    advertising

Bronze Phenster
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

YES YES YES and YES. With a low calorie diet and low carb low sugar, for me is the best diet. Combine this with exercising or walking 3 miles daily. I have lost 33 lbs in 2 months.

Photos
    View albums

I will be frank I do not buy into the low carb craze, most certainly you will lose the weight, but most likely you also will regain it. Most of us cannot live on a very low carb diet and shouldn't either. Our brains rely on Carbohydrates to function, when you cut carbs below 100 a day you are starving your brain cells.
    Chance J. likes this.

​Nothing Tastes As Good As Thin Feels

Photos
    View albums

I have tried it before Phen and it wasn't for me.
    It left me very weak and tired all the time. Thats
    my 2cents.
    Kristin1031 likes this.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I am sad to say that up until about 1 1/2 year ago, I have been on the atkins diet off and on, since I was 13 years old (when my older sister introduced me to it).

Over the years, I have had big success with losing weight on atkins. However, I always regained it all back (plus more) because I simply could not stick to it.

For me, doing lowish carb (about 60g of carbs a day) works best. I do not follow the rules of the atkins diet. It's a good balance for me because I don't deprive myself, but I don't eat chocolate cake either. I know some people can eat just a slice of cake, but trust me, if I get a taste, I'll eat the whole thing-no joke. I know moderation is key and I'm trying to get to that point emotionally, but I also know myself really well and most foods that are high in carbs are my downfall. If I could successfully eat in moderation, I wouldn't need to lose weight.

I've done a lot of research on the atkins diet and I have learned that the way low carb works is by:

1) Reduces cravings when your body is in ketosis.
    2) When you have such a limited selection of what you can eat on a diet such as atkins, you tend to eat less.
    3) The suggested low carb foods tend to be high in protein, so they keep you feeling full

Many people think that on atkins you can have all of the steak and eggs you want and still lose weight. That is simply not true. Calories in and out, is always is the contributing factor to gaining or losing.

So, while you may lose faster by combining phen and the atkins diet, please realize that it all comes down to calories. I have learned that you can lose just as quickly by eating truly healthy low calorie foods, exercising, and getting lots of protien. I have lost 58 pounds since starting phen on feb 16.

I know atkins can seem tempting. At first, eating steak every night for dinner may sound like a dream, but over time, the thought of eating steak may repluse you. To this day, it does me. My sister too.
    Last edited by Summer9; June 4th, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
    Kristin1031 likes this.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I recently seen a nutritionist (per DR. request) and what she said to me made perfect sense.. Although my previous Weight loss DR. had given me a menu to eat from, was that realistic? was I really prepared to eat like this for the rest of my Life? and she said tell me what Have you been Eating?

I told her that for the first month I stuck to what the Dr. told me to eat but the next month I started to eat all the foods I was eating prior to starting phen, I was just eating less of it.. She was please to hear that because she said that was more realistic..
    she also said following a specific diet is what causes people to gain their weight plus back because they stick to a diet only to reach their goal and then turn back to regular habits, then wonder why they have regained their weight +..

In order for this to work for me I have to live in reality because I know what he had me on I wouldn't be able to do it forever.. There are still some things I take from the menu such as the breakfast and the lunch but I do partake in regular foods as well because I know I love it and although I want to eat a large serving that I am use to I know eating it in moderation is what's best for me..

the first month following the DR.'s orders I lost a total of 15lbs and the second month with alterations to his plan I lost 14lbs which works for me ..
    I am really trying not to get caught up in something that I know I will not be able to stick to.. and in order for me to do that I have to be real about what I am going to be eating for the rest of my life and there are certain things that I am not ready to give up
    Start date 4/3/12
    SW:329lbs

LBS. LOST:-43lbs
    CW:286lbs
    GW:200lbs (for now depending how I look)

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

A couple times a year my dad goes to the store and buys nothing but a cart-full of meat and tries the Atkins thing for a week or so lol. Never sticks though. I think he just gets tired of bacon and steak.

I can't get into it myself, but for reasons unrelated to weight loss I am considering cutting back on starch in general. (Which sadly includes many carbs.) However I would still eat carbs through fruits and other non-starchy foods. (I have Ankylosing Spondylitis, supposedly No Starch Diet is a huge thing that people swear by, I'm still looking into it.)
    Kristin1031 likes this.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

i have tried the Atkins before...and was successful for a while...but after a while all that meat and grease just made me feel ick all the time(to the point of being nauseous at the smell of it). Then i discovered the 17 day diet...it has similar properties...such as low carb...however you do get to eat some that are naturally in fruits and veggies...its a lot of chicken and fish the first 17 days...and then the second 17 days you add in some potatoes here and there and more fruits and veggies and the occasional red meat...its all in teaching you body to crave the right kind of foods and carbs...i lost about 20 lbs in the first 34 days...there is a "maintaining" phase as well, which is something that is doable for a life time. i don't honestly know what happened but i stopped following this...and went right back to eating fast food and fried food all the time and the weight came back...however it came back very slowly. i am starting it up again by this weekend(need to go grocery shopping first) i am hoping that paring the diet with the phen will help me get back to my pre pregnancy weight(i gained close to 100 lbs due to illness).

Phen Newbie
    Washington State, Central Western (hence the screen name)
    Photos
    View albums

Above people say they were on Atkins but then gained it all back when they went off it. You hear this rap about Atkins and South Beach often. But what diet is there that if you abandon it you do not gain weight?
    lisalynn2012 likes this.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Olympia, I see what you're getting at. However, the atkins diet book clearly states that you are supposed to be on it "for life." I have yet to meet one person who has truly stuck to this diet for many years. Some people claim to have, but they are few and far in between-especially compared to the millions of people who, no matter how much they wanted to lose weight, simply could not stick to such a restrictive diet. Most realized that it was not right for them and "abandoned" it for a low calorie diet-and gained weight as a result. Maybe it was because they finally got a taste of that "evil" bread again and ate a whole loaf!!!!

Bronze Phenster
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

I was referring to the adkins low carb diet. The only things I eat are the low carb bars and low carb shakes. They have a good amount of protein and essential vit / minerals. I dont eat all that greesy stuff either but was able to maintain a low carb diet and still lose weight. If you wanna eat bread eat weat bread, ice cream, eat breyers low carb etc. Its all about making proper food choices throught out the day.