• 1 Post By zute72
  • 1 Post By Bzzzymom

Thread: False positive drug test

Phen Newbie
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

Default False positive drug test

I started back on Phentermine on the 22nd of March. I was accepted for a job shortly thereafter and was told to come in for a drug test a few days later. I had remembered reading somewhere that Phen can show up in a drug test as amphetamine so I made sure to bring it with me. Well early on the morning of the drug screen, I also had a vet appointment for my husky and didnít even think about it, and I took a pill right after waking up. So my drug screen was at 1 p.m. I went, I told the nurse about the Phen. She made a copy of my ** bottle. The immediate test came up positive for amphetamine (as expected). And because of protocol, she had to split my urine and send it off to another lab for a more thorough test. So I JUST got the call back from the Medical Review Officer yesterday (I was told it would be a couple of days, whereas it was a week and Iím scheduled to start the job this coming Monday, the 23rd). So the MRO told me that, even when accounting for the Phen, I still showed up positive for amphetamine. He asked if I took a friendís diet pill (why WOULD I?), or used some nasal spray. I said no, and I told him what else I was on (Sprintec Birth Control Pills and Levothyroxin for my hypothyroidism) and a multivitamin. He basically said okay then, well these are the results I have to report to the place I was hired at.

So in a panic, I called the HR department there and told them the situation. They said that since he hadnít called them yet, they didnít have a definitive answer but she would ask someone else after their meeting. I waited and got a phone call later that said that basically, I can pay to have another test done at another lab (for $150!!) since it was split test, or something, and only one tube was tested. If in the end, they get a positive result from the MRO, then I canít work there. I asked if I could take a retest, and she said AFTER A YEAR. Iíve already turned in my notice to my place of employment now and theyíve already hired someone to take my place. While where I work now is a small business and would help me as much as possible, I know they wonít be able to afford to keep me there.

I called the MRO back and mentioned the multivitamin that I was one was one for metabolism, and (as I suspected) he said nothing OTC could cause it to show up. He said since there was no other explanation, he would have to report back what he got. I pretty much started crying while at work.
    I donít know if anyone else has come across this problem. I still havenít heard back a definitive answer from the institution I was hired at, but Iím going to go ahead and assume that Iím not going to get it. Iím no scientist, but Iím wondering if the Phen metabolized in me a certain way that it made amphetamine show up on its own, like as if I had taken Ritalin or something. Iím also wondering if I should have just said ďyesĒ to taking a friendís diet pill or using some nasal spray. I just didnít feel like lying would be a good way to start off, but I also didnít know if they would even check that out.
    Iím just sort of at a loss. This new job would be paying $3 more than what Iím making now, plus have all sorts of benefits. I had planned to buy a house and get married this year. But it looks like neither of those things are going to happen now. Is there any legal action I can take?
    Those who play with cats must expect to be scratched.
    --Cervantes

Never allow someone to be your priority while you are merely their option.

The unnamed should not be taken for the nonexistent.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went.

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

Oh Callie, I am so sorry to read this. I don't understand why it would be such an issue for employment that your drug tests shows the legal prescription drug you told them you were taking and proved was legit! I have read that reputable, high quality drug testing CAN tell the difference between Phentermine- a sympathomimetic amine-- and amphetamines.

If it were me, I wouldn't pay for another test, since you know it will still show the same results, but I would call the doctor and explain the whole thing, ask your doctor to fax over something to the HR dept, stating that this is a short term medication, you are taking it under his advice, blah blah. Some companies will not allow employees to be on any "amphetamines" at all, even prescription. My husband's job is like this. You don't say what your new job would be, but I might call the HR dept again and clarify if your job offer is being taken away b/c of your prescription. Don't falsely admit to anything!

Maybe someone else can offer legal advice. I'm so sorry about your job. I hope things work out for you.

Photos
    View albums

wow that is terrible I am with Bzzzy on this one..Call your doctor STAT and tell him/her your situation, and ask them to be a credential for you, as far as reputation (of lack of drug use, I'm assuming) as well. Thank you for posting this though so others are aware of the possibilities of this happening. Good luck to you on the job you WANT!!
    RosePedal likes this.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I was thinking that too!! I recently am in a job switch too, but I am waiting for them to call back. The drug test was last week, and nothing so far. I plan on having a MAJOR fit if I don't be the job for a positive. I have NEVER had a positive result in my life, but this has me worried.
    RosePedal likes this.

Phen Newbie
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

Essentially, they're saying that there was more in my system than what was prescribed to me--or something like that. As if I was abusing my prescription, which I would never do since I already have heart issues.

But here are updates on this ridiculous story:
    I drove to the MRO's office to get my drug test results. Then, I called my Dr.'s office and asked if she could write a letter to the medical review officer explaining WHY it would show up as more than was prescribed in my system. This is, word for word, what she wrote:

"To Whom It May Concern:
    Callie is under my care for diet and weight loss supervision and is on a medically prescribed diet pill. This medication will show up positive under amphetamines on a drug test. She is taking this medication responsibly and as directed and prescribed. This patient's presecription covers March of this year thru August. I am asking you to take this under consideration as she is qualified from all other aspects for this job position.
    If you have any questions, please call me at ......"

I took it to the MRO's office, attached to my results, and they told me that he would make a phone call and that he would call me back. This was last Friday, April 20th. Well I didn't get a phone call that day. So I waited, stressed out of my mind, over the weekend. Monday was the day I was supposed to start at my new job, so I was home alone, and stressed out all day, waiting for the phone call. Nothing. So I called his office and asked if he had talked to her (my doc). They said not yet. So I waited until Wednesday afternoon. I called the place I was supposed to get hired at and they hadn't heard anything from him either. So, Thursday (yesterday), I had to go to my Dr.'s office to pick up another ** for my phen and I asked them if she had talked to him. Well my Dr. wasn't there and the nurses didn't know. So I called the MRO's office AGAIN and asked if he talked to her.
    Supposedly, he had. They talked, she said, and decided that the phentermine wouldn't have caused the test to show up positive for amphetamines. WOULDN'T HAVE CAUSED IT TO SHOW UP POSITIVE. Are you kidding me? Plus, SHE SAID THAT IT WOULD! In her letter! I'm so frazzled at this point that I'm speechless. So I get off the phone. And think about it that night (through tons of crying I also did).
    I woke up this morning and call his office again. After dealing with 2 idiots just to get to the one I spoke with yesterday, I said "You told me yesterday that my Dr. and the MRO decided that phentermine wouldn't show up positive for amphetamine on a drug test but she said that it would IN HER LETTER TO HIM." I then read her the sentence on the letter, as I also have a copy. "Why would she come to a different conclusion after she said that it would??" And she said "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU, HUN. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO TELL YOU." Like getting all snippy and short with me. So I asked if he was going to call me on it, and she said no. So I said, "well I know you don't have any answers for me, but EVERY medical professional, even my pharmacist, I've spoken with has told me that it WILL show up positive on a drug test. So I guess I'll just call my Dr and ask about what she said."

So I called my pharmacist again to ask if there's anything he can tell from the results that I have, and if there's anything he can fax over to them, but he wasn't there yet.

I know it won't change anything at this point, but I'm just pissed now. So it went from me possibly abusing my ** to now just a full blown addiction to amphetamines.

Now I'm trying to find someone who knows a lawyer pretty well to ask them about this without getting charged (as now I have no means of money). Just a warning to anyone taking a drug test: DO NOT TAKE IT BEFORE A DRUG TEST. Like, for two days before, just in case. You will get royally screwed out of a job.

I don't know what I'm most angry about: the fact that I have people in my life now who think that I'm addicted to amphetamines, the fact that I didnt want anyone to know that I was back on Phen and now just about everyone knows, the fact that I can't buy a house now, and subsequently can't get married (as I'm STILL living with my parents and so is my fiance, with his), that it's going to take me forever to get another job that won't be as high-paying at entry level as this one, or that this has pushed me back into a pretty aggressive depression. I was looking so forward to this year and being really positive about it, which is new for me. Like I said, I was going to move out, get a house of my own, get married and everything. To make it worse, I got a speeding ticket yesterday on my way to the Dr.'s office. I must have been a pretty awful person in a past life.
    --Cervantes

Photos
    View albums

Callie, I know how devastated you must feel. I am so sorry this is going on with you. You did everything right, and it sounds like you have an understanding doctor. I can't imagine what the MRO is thinking!! It is awful to have to deal with idiots, isn't it?

Part of me wants to say, "Just relax, take a deep breath. This, too, shall pass." But the **tchy part of me is dying to scream, "Get that lawyer and raise some hell!!"

It's awful to be angry and not be able to make things right on your own. Things seem worse when we are already stressed. Right now I am overwhelmed and frustrated, and I can't actually do anything to make things better. I've had two little crying break-downs since yesterday, but I have to just keep going.

Maybe take that moment to be sad. Then feel thankful you have a place to live right now, and then use your righteous anger to go make things work for you! You will still get married, still get your own house, still become thinner and healthier and more positive about your life. Don't let this break you.

Saying a prayer for you!
    nesser likes this.

Phen Newbie
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I've talked to the MRO a little more and he's basically repeating what he first said: that after accounting for the Phen, there was still amphetamine in my system. I still couldn't get anything from him that says exactly how much was in my system. The "results" they gave me werent much of anything. It basically says Amphetamine and is circled by him. Like that's supposed to convince me. Now I'm in the middle of trying to find out if I can get the other half of my sample sent somewhere that can and will tell me what all was in my system. And I'd love to know WHY anything else was in my system, but I don't think I'll get my answer on that. I'm also planning on writing the president of the company I applied to to tell him how their MRO is kind of an ***, is condescending, and isn't helpful with people who have done nothing wrong. I also plan to send everything I've gotten that has said that Phen will show up as amphetamine and how I have credible sources who know I'm not using anything. My aunt knows someone who worked at this particular company and she said that this was probably a blessing in disguise because that place was awful, but that's easy to say when you're not the one who is out of a job. My friend also works there and is saying it might have been a good thing this happened because she's having a hard time with them too. I'm trying to stay somewhat calm in this situation, but it just always seems to be one thing after another. I've also decided that April is just not a good month for me. Bad things seem to happen in April, so I'm keeping out hope for May. I did a little job hunting yesterday and didn't find much of anything.

But I'm trying to keep on going. I guess I don't have much of a choice. Thank you so much for your support, Buzzy. Through all of this I've been bingeing butane started up smoking again, but I took the dogs for a walk and jumped some rope today and feel a little better. I'm slowly getting there.
    --Cervantes

Photos
    View albums

Are you inhaling butane?!

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

thats a bunch of bull s h i t if you ask me. yeah, i wouldn't take this before my drug screen, but also, you showed them your bottle, they made a copy. it is an amphetemine and its documented by your doctor in a letter with their signature. i could ask my lawyer friends, however, i pretty much am positive you could press something legally. consultations with most lawyers are free to tell you if you have a "worth it" case. however, being this company sounds like a bunch of jerks, i wouldn't think its worth the hassle and leave well enough alone. if they are going to act like this, they can shove it up their arse. i'm sorry you have to deal with this, and have been screwed since you already put in your notice. its not like you took too much, the correct dosage should be in your system that was on your bottle, however, from now on i wouldn't even risk it. i was a flight attendant for christs sakes when i took adderall, also an amphetamine, along with some anti depressents, xanax for panic attacks, ambien, and i passed everything and didn't have an issue which you think thats the profession that would be stricter, so a bunch of bs i say..