Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What vitamins and supplements do you take with your Phen???

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Default What vitamins and supplements do you take with your Phen???

You guys might be getting annoyed with seeing my name all over everyones post lol.. but I am so motivated to loose weight and seeing everyones progress helps! The forum is more addicting then Facebook
    Anyways, I take a daily womans vitamin called Alive, 500mg of vitamin C, and fish oil.

I never really started taking vitamins regularly until this year. I guess I kinda thought they were a waste of money and washed right threw you.. I dont really remember a specific moment that changed my mind.

Do you have any recommendations, or "must haves"???

2. Advertising
    advertising

Silver Phenster TakingTheChallenge's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

I'm so happy to see you're taking the steps toward losing weight and I wish you the best in success.

I went to a weight loss Doctor who prescribed Phentermine for me and recommended I take a multi-vitamin, chromium picolinate (200 mcg) and to be sure and get as much vegetables as I can. I'm planning on following his advice to the letter.

I originally lost 76 lbs in 2007 taking Phen but in the last couple years have gained back about 50 and I'm definitely motivated to get back to where I was and then some. This summer is the summer of transformation for all of us! Good luck and keep it up!
    Back on Phentermine after a slide and gain.

Current weight: 239.6 (May 21, 2011)

242.5 (May 2, 2011)
    247.4 (April 23, 2011)

Goal: 180 lbs.

Banned
    Photos
    View albums

I take a LOT of supplements
    Multi V
    Chromium
    b6
    liquid b12
    potassium
    calcium/ zinc
    Vit D
    Green Tea
    5htp
    Probiotic
    Selenium
    CLA
    Biotin

I say the must haves is the liquid b12 / chromium for energy

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy83 View Post
    I take a LOT of supplements
    Multi V
    Chromium
    b6
    liquid b12
    potassium
    calcium/ zinc
    Vit D
    Green Tea
    5htp
    Probiotic
    Selenium
    CLA
    Biotin

I say the must haves is the liquid b12 / chromium for energy
    I just bought some B12 pills this weekend having read that so many people take it. However, its not liquid. Could you tell me the difference between the two??

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Hi! I take many supplements also, but you should really check with your doctor first. I take:

Calcium w/ Vit D
    Biotin
    5HTP
    CLA
    B-12 shot
    Evening Primrose
    Chromium
    Multi Vitamin w/ Iron

For me the multi vit. w/ iron is the most important, I get low iron every month and feel really tired and washed out if I don't take it every single day. I also would not give up the 5HTP or Chromium. The others I am not real sure if they are doing anything, I still take them, but I don't really notice a difference when I miss them.

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

5htp (tryptophan)
    tyrosine
    Calcium Citrate
    Magnesium
    selenium
    Potassium
    Krill Oil
    Sublingual B12
    L-Glutamine
    D3
    Chromium
    ~CR

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

What is the benefit of 5htp, chromium, and cla??? I see a lot of people taking it.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

http://www.wikihow.com/Lose-Weight-with-Vitamins

I found this... thought I would share..

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

5htp (5-Hydroxytryptophan) also known as oxitriptan naturally-occurring amino acid and chemical precursor as well as metabolic intermediate in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters serotonin and melatonin from tryptophan. Having now confused you....phentermine affects this neurotransmitter in your brain.....and one of the reasons they believe you build up a resistance to it....that these neurotransmitters are depleted by consistent doses of it.....by taking this supplement, the researchers behind the medicine believe it helps to support the neurotransmitters, thus helping your phentermine work better.

CLA is Conjugated Linoleic Acid is found in grass fed beef and raw dairy products found in grass fed cattle, since this seems to be a non-existant thing now a days....you can find it in this supplement which is an antioxident that is believed to help protect against breast cancer and other malignancies, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, Osteoporosis, Inflammation, and may be able to mimic synthetic drugs for diabetics, food allergies and it can help preserve lean body mass while reducing overall fat mass, especially when taken while being part of an active exercise program. It may also raise your metabolic rate.....so its a pretty much positive supplement to take....and since your body can not make it....you have to get it from your diet, and I'm pretty sure most of us don't raise grass fed cattle....so I'm thinking you have to buy it.....the most widely recognized CLA is Tonalin.

Chromium picolinate reduces sugar and carbohydrate cravings and has been stated to help reduce your appetite, 400mg taken with food each day.

~CR

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by crossroads View Post
    5htp (5-Hydroxytryptophan) also known as oxitriptan naturally-occurring amino acid and chemical precursor as well as metabolic intermediate in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters serotonin and melatonin from tryptophan. Having now confused you....phentermine affects this neurotransmitter in your brain.....and one of the reasons they believe you build up a resistance to it....that these neurotransmitters are depleted by consistent doses of it.....by taking this supplement, the researchers behind the medicine believe it helps to support the neurotransmitters, thus helping your phentermine work better.

CLA is Conjugated Linoleic Acid is found in grass fed beef and raw dairy products found in grass fed cattle, since this seems to be a non-existant thing now a days....you can find it in this supplement which is an antioxident that is believed to help protect against breast cancer and other malignancies, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, Osteoporosis, Inflammation, and may be able to mimic synthetic drugs for diabetics, food allergies and it can help preserve lean body mass while reducing overall fat mass, especially when taken while being part of an active exercise program. It may also raise your metabolic rate.....so its a pretty much positive supplement to take....and since your body can not make it....you have to get it from your diet, and I'm pretty sure most of us don't raise grass fed cattle....so I'm thinking you have to buy it.....the most widely recognized CLA is Tonalin.

Chromium picolinate reduces sugar and carbohydrate cravings and has been stated to help reduce your appetite, 400mg taken with food each day.

Great info!!!! Now, do I take these even when I am off of Phen?? Is there a multivitamin that has all these in it? or do I need to take these with a multi? What is a good dosage for the ones you mentioned? Do I need to go to a health food store or does walmart have it??

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

You can take them whether on the phen or not....5htp 100-300mg, (the 5htp I take has 250mg of Tyrosine in it) Tyrosine 1000mg (do not start out here, this dosage can have some heavy side effects, like phen, heart palpatations, racing heart, etc....go in slow with a 200mg start and see how you do, so getting a 5htp with it in it may be a good start for you) Chromium Picolinate, 400mg a day.

I suggest you order it off line, I use AllStarHealth.com, they have good prices and after doing a search for 5htp, I found they carried it free from the peak x contaminant..... so whatever one you decide on check with the manufacturer and make sure they screen for it...it is a very remote chance that any would be contaminated but I don't want to be that remote chance..... I also take dosages of 5htp and tyrosine in accordance with amino acid therapy.

The contaminant, called "peak x," was linked to symptoms suffered by a family exposed to 5-HTP in 1991. It also has a similar chemical structure to contaminants found in batches of a related supplement, L-Tryptophan, (pulled off the market in 1989) which were linked to a 1989 outbreak of eosinophilia myalgia syndrome (EMS) that affected thousands of people.
    Last edited by crossroads; April 25th, 2011 at 10:07 PM.
    ~CR

Banned
    Photos
    View albums

"supposedly" the b12 pills are mostly absorbed by your liver before your body can feel the effects of the energy you are supposed to get from b12. The liquid is supposed to give u a lot more energy (hence why if you read the label on those 5 hour liquid energy things they are like 99% b12)

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I take OneADay Women's active metabolism, Calcium + D, and vitamin B12. Just curious how much B12 does everyone take?

Join our Weight Loss Forum Community Today!

Silver Phenster Butterfly Princess's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

I, too, have been looking into 5HTP. There are so many different brands, doses, etc. out there that I don't know what to get. Has anyone taken BIOTIN? I read where Nioxin and biotin help your hair. So I shelled out $$$ for these two items. I do think the Nioxin helps but it takes a while. The biotin....I took it for about a week or so and gained 5 pounds. I know, I know...it is just a B vitamin but honestly that is the ONLY thing I added to my daily routine. I have had other "vitamins" cause weight gain. Don't know if it is me or I am just crazy but the last thing I need is something that causes the scale to go up!

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

there are several amino acids that can help with your hair, but are you having issues with hair loss or are you looking to get it to grow faster or what....if I do not know what you are looking to achieve, I can't really direct you to the right one....and yeah, you can't just start taking supplements without knowing what they can do to you, they are called supplements for a reason they supplement a diet that is lacking.....and some diets lack things because we are ill.....if you don't need them, then why take them? Unless you are Biotin deficient (which is really rare) there is NO reason to take it....do you eat a lot of egg whites or were you just taking it for your hair, because there really isn't a lot of data to support that it actually helps....

As far as 5htp goes, taking it, especially while using a medication that affects the neurotransmitters in your brain, is probably a good idea, dose, 100mg a day should be enough, brand....eh....I order mine on line because a. it's cheaper, b. I can research the company better and I can order it with another amino acid in it, which I wanted....and I know more about it that way....I don't really trust much that comes from a drug store......but then again...you can order those online too....I order a great deal from allstarhealth.com and I am now beginning to follow advise from Naturalpathic Medicine instead of the more traditional approaches to things....
    ~CR

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I don't take a multi-vitamin but I probably should. I DO take vitamin D3 (not the plain D). According to the pharmacist at Costco..the D3 is what your body makes naturally & the vitamin D is man-made so the D3 is better. I take 4000 IU every day. I also take the vitamin B12 (sublingually)..it gets into your system faster & I take 2500 mcg every night RIGHT BEFORE I go to bed b/c I was having a hard time getting to sleep when I was taking it in the am.

Photos
    View albums

Crossroads: Thanks for the reply

My hair has been thinning on top for a couple years now. Not a good look for a woman! You can only poof it up so much. As a matter of fact, I saw an old post on here about hair (thin/loss) and several people said that is what they took...so I blindly gave it a try. I definitely quit the biotin and still am using the Nioxin (spray the stuff on your scalp and hair at night and it turns it hard) although I don't know if I will keep spending the money for it as it is pretty costly. Thanks for the advise about the 5htp. Anything to help weight loss is good but I like the fact it is supposed to help you sleep. It is not the Phen that keeps me up or wakes me up at night. Most nights my brain seems to go into overdrive and thoughts just race through constantly and I can't sleep. The doctor even gave me a low dose of Xanax to calm my mind at night and let me get back to sleep.

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

Okay that gives me somewhere to go on the hair issue....so what you want to use if you have some hair issues is actually going to be L-Cysteine, 500mg

http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/now-l_cysteine_500mg.htm

• L-Cysteine
      • L-cysteine is a sulfur-containing amino acid. In addition to maintaining healthy hair, L-cysteine aids in the detoxification of the body by binding to substances left behind by drugs, nicotine or alcohol and allowing them to be removed in the body's normal cleansing processes.

Effects

• L-cysteine promotes hair growth by increasing the diameter of the hair shaft. The percent of increase will differ for each person.

Food

• L-cysteine can be found in protein-rich foods. Chicken, turkey, broccoli, milk and eggs are all good sources of L-cysteine.

Supplements

• L-cysteine can also be found in synthetic form. It is most commonly taken in pill form but it can be used in liquid form. Once digested L-cysteine is released into the bloodstream. Once in the bloodstream L-cysetine is absorbed by the scalp and passed through the hair shaft.

Side Effects

• Side effects from L-cysteine are rare, however it can interfere with insulin. If you are taking insulin consult with your doctor before incorporating L-cysteine into your diet.

~CR

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

I normally use the Vit D,Biotin, liquid b12 and jack3d and really use full for me..
    Is it safe and good for me??
    Los Angeles Boot Camp
    Last edited by Kendall; April 30th, 2011 at 10:39 AM.

Photos
    View albums

Crossroads...once again thank you! You are a bevy of information! I will look into that. I have always had baby fine hair but with years of coloring (I only look good blonde and mother nature didn't keep me that way so I had to take over! But I am going to check that and the 5htp out. Thanks again!!

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

so which supplements work best with the phen???? I dont know which ones to buy...help!!! :/

Bronze Phenster straightedgerick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

My stack of supplements is a little different than most because I am trying to lose fat and retain muscle. But here it goes:

Casein protein
    Whey protein
    Vegan multivitamin w/ iron
    BCAA (Branch chain amino acids)
    Vegan Omega 3-6-9
    Vegan DHA
    CLA
    L-carnitine
    Vitamin C
    D-aspartic acid
    I believe that one defines oneself by reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself. To cut yourself out of stone. - Henry Rollins

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Does your doctor give you the B-12shot?

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

When is everyone taking their b12 sub lingual???

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I take these..

Mult Vitamin
    Fish Oil
    CLA
    Super B complex
    Calcium Pyruvate
    Sometimes L-Carnitine too
    thinking of adding 5HTP (after talking with ppl on here)

Anything else I should add??

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by FL-Girl24 View Post
    I take these..

Mult Vitamin
    Fish Oil
    CLA
    Super B complex
    Calcium Pyruvate
    Sometimes L-Carnitine too
    thinking of adding 5HTP (after talking with ppl on here)

Anything else I should add??

does your multi have

Choline? its used to metabolize fat. This vitamin is very important! If your levels of Choline are too low, fat tends to get blocked in the liver. Good sources include egg yolks, wheat germ and peanuts. Choline is the main ingredient in Lethicin.

Add Iodine to your diet to stimulate the thyroid and promote a healthier, faster metabolism.

Inositol. This vitamin works with Choline to metabolize fat. Good sources are soy, eggs and nuts.

Chromium. It processes carbohydrates and reduces hunger pangs. Studies have shown it to increase weight loss when dieting.

B2, B3, B5, and B6. All these B-vitamins keep your metabolism running (very important for weight loss) and ensure a healthy thyroid. Good sources include wheat bran, eggs and oats.

Vitamin C. This helps the body to convert glucose into energy, and stops it from being stored in your body! Good sources include blackcurrants, broccoli, oranges and strawberries.

Photos
    View albums

I take:

-Raw One Women's Vitamin

- Barleans High Lignan Flax Oil softgels

- Caltrate w/ Vitamin D
    Last edited by Mytimeisnow; May 13th, 2011 at 11:36 AM.

My Time Is Now!

Photos
    View albums

I take Vitamin D, Fish Oil, L-Carnitine, and just started 5-HTP this week (one in the evening)

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

I have heard that there is another shot injection that you can get from the doctor's along with the B-12 shot. I saw it on here somewhere but I can't think of what it's called. Does anyone know what it is?

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by kimnkell View Post
    I have heard that there is another shot injection that you can get from the doctor's along with the B-12 shot. I saw it on here somewhere but I can't think of what it's called. Does anyone know what it is?

@Kimnkell HCG??

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by MommaMandy2 View Post
    @Kimnkell HCG??
    Is the HCG an injection? Is it the same thing as a B-12 or Lipotropic injection. I have never heard of it.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by kimnkell View Post
    Is the HCG an injection? Is it the same thing as a B-12 or Lipotropic injection. I have never heard of it.
    In my opinion, HCG is not the reason behind weightloss...the 500 VLCD/day is the reason for dropping drastic ammounts of weight in a very short period of time on that diet. I say this because I did the diet and anything over the 500/cals a day would show on the scale, not true now that I am on Phen, I can eat a candy bar of a portion of chips and salsa and still lose weight. If you are looking to add something with the phen I have had pretty godd sucess with taking chromium picolinate (found at walmart with the vitamins).

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Princess View Post
    I take Vitamin D, Fish Oil, L-Carnitine, and just started 5-HTP this week (one in the evening)

Does the L-Carnitine working??

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I bought CLA, Chromium and 5htp yesterday and started them today so I will let you know how it goes.I bought them all at Walmart. It was $30 for all 3 there....Joyce
    SIGPIC]I put this picture here to remind me of where I started. April 17th....187.3 Really?? OMG!!! April 23rd..One week in....179 April 29th...Almost 2 weeks....172.6 May 5, 2011.....167 May 15, 2011....164 May 22, 2011.....160 May 29, 2011.......156 June 6th,2011....153 June 12th, 2011.....151 June 21, 2011...147 June 26th, 2011...143 Goal weight.....130-140 we will see how I look when I get there

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

whats the cla for??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast