Close
    Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Default Do you take a break from phen and, and if so, how long?

I started taking phen November 1st, so it has been a little over 4 months now. I have lost 60 pounds all together, but it has gotten soooo slow lately! I exercise 1 - 1 1/2 hours per day, eat right, I mean I literally NEVER blow my diet, and still nothing! I increased my calories, switched my workouts and that helped for a while, but now this last week nothing! Seriously not 1 pound!!! I have been at 180 for what seems like forever!

I have noticed on here a lot of people take a break from phen, my doctor has never even suggested I do this. Should I take time off, and if so do I take a weekend, a week, a month or what? Is this something you do to help you start losing weight again, or do you do it for health concerns? I am not due to go back to the doctor for 6 more weeks so I was just wondering. Thanks!

2. Advertising
    advertising

Bronze Phenster Melanie Fox Hubbard's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

Glorbaby, my doctor told me when she gave me the prescription that her method of practice was to take the Phen for three months and then to take a three month break before starting the second round. She said that she does this not only to prevent your body from getting too used to the drug but also to give it a break and let it recover since the possible side effects can be so severe. You may want to ask for a second opinion or at least call your physician and ask about this. I'm sure that each doctor practices differently so it may be that he has a plan that he just hasn't bothered to discuss with you yet.

I know that not losing is frustrating but remember that you've done an excellent job thus far and keep up the great work!

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Thanks Melanie, it is weird because my husband is taking it too and he started in Jan. (me in Nov) and we go to the same doctor and at my husband's last checkup the doctor told him after this round he needed a break for one month??? So WTH why would he say that to him but not me? I am so afraid to go off it, I just want to keep losing!

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

A suggestion is maybe to take 5htp which some doctors say can help break a plateau....comes from doctors who prescrib phen with an SSRI to make a phen-pro combination, google Dr. Michael Anchors and his site that describes how 5htp can help with stalling... also if you are ingesting sugar substitutes either as packets or in diet drinks or sugar alcohols in low carb foods they can also stall weight loss, even on weight loss meds.....

Just some suggestions.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Crossroads, thank you so much! I will do that this week, where do I get the 5htp? So what do you mean about sugar alcohols in low carb food? Should I stay away from all carbs? I will do whatever I have to, I just can't figure out what that is! Thanks again!

Photos
    View albums

I don't take it everyday. I skip weekends. I still eat healthy on those days but I just don't take it. This is what I did on my first round (back in 2006). You really aren't supposed to take it for months and months. The reason is, the pill isn't meant as a quick weight loss alternative. Though I have seen people abuse this (in fact, I know a girl a few towns over who is probably 110 to 115 pounds and she's a nurse and takes it to keep her weight where she wants it and to me that's just wrong). It's meant to help you retrain yourself for a better lifestyle. This is what I learned from my nutritionist back in 2006.

We all plateau. Everyone is different. Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat and you are probably not seeing pounds come off because you're so active and toned up for all of the exercising you do. If it's been 4 months I would indeed take a break.
    Restarted Phen 3/1/2011 - Weight 235.8 lbs
    3/10/2011 - 230.6 lbs
    3/14/2011 - 229 lbs
    3/24/2011 - 228 lbs

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Junkydawgs: So do I just take weekends off like you do? Or do I take of a week or two? Thank you so much for answering me, I am so confused with what to do!!!

Photos
    View albums

So funny I am in the same boat stuck at 180. I took for 3 months took a month break and maintained the 30 pounds which wasn't too easy but wasn't too hard. I'm back on as of a month ago lost 4-5 pounds..... sigh..at one point I saw 178/179. Well only for 2 days..- I weigh myself daily ..anyway after last month I had a 4day break which is not in any plan I just had to wait on the nurse...those fee days I felt like I was tired and starving so how people people become addicted. No they are not as strong as they were at first. However I think it still helps. I just recently added excellean from GMC so hopefully that may help who knows the Guy that worked there said he sold a lot of it. I have also tried to switch up my foods like oatmeal instead of toast..do different exercises ..

Gold Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Yes, I take a lot of breaks sometimes for the weekend, sometimes for a week, sometimes for 2 weeks and sometimes for month. If my weight loss starts to slow down I take a break and increase my exercise and usually when I start back up my weight loss picks back up.

Full Body Picture (4/30/11)

CONSISTENCY =DEDICATION=HABIT= A NEW HEALTHIER ME & LIFE… I WELCOME THE CHALLENGE TO A CONSISTENT DEDICATED HABIT FORMING BETTER ME!

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Okay, I got the 5HTP and chromium and started taking it yesterday, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I switched up my workout to instead of elliptical/stationary bike, I am walking 4 miles a day, and eating mostly protein, so hopefully I will see something happen! Keep your fingers crossed for me!! Thanks for all of the advice!