Close
    Photos
    View albums

Default Losing weight while being on bed rest...is it realistic?

Hey guys, first off, Happy Holidays everyone.

I'm having nose surgery on January 4th to correct my deviated septum. I've been pretty much on track with my weightloss program for the past 6 weeks. It's going slow, but I know that the less you have to lose the harder it is.

After the surgery I'll be on bed rest for about a week to 10 days, and it will be a month before I can get back to exercising and most importantly, ballet training. I'm scared that I will lose all the progress I've made, especially regarding muscle tone. I will focus super hard on my diet, but I'm afraid my recovering body is gonna want to eat the entire contents of my fridge.

Has any of you guys managed to continue losing weight while not being able to exercise? Has anyone had nose surgery or any other kind of surgery while trying to lose weight? Did you have to stop taking phen before the surgery or during recovery?

Feel free to share any experiences or advice, I'd really appreciate it as I'm freaking out a little.

2. Advertising
    advertising

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Flakita, it's interesting that you mention your septum surgery. My husband had a severely deviated septum repaired, tonsils removed, his uvula removed, and extra tissue in his throat also removed earlier this month. His surgeon told him he would be off work for a week. He was indeed able to return to work after a week, although his throat was tender for about 2 weeks. Your recovery time of course will be specific to you. As far as being able to lose weight while on bed-rest or near bed rest, it depends on how many calories you have been consuming and how much exercise you normally do now. If you are careful about what you eat, and stick to that portion of your program, along with your (ideally) high volume of water consumption, you should at least maintain and not gain. I had lost about 11 pounds of weight after 2 weeks on Phen, and I suffered bilateral knee injuries. My doctor told me he didn't want me on my feet, putting weight on my legs, any more than absolutely possible. I kept up my program (less normal exercise) and continued to lose weight. I ended up with 19 pounds lost in the first month. I plan on trying to exercise using my legs starting tomorrow. However, I have been doing daily isometric exercises, by flexing my different muscle groups as hard as possible, for up to 10 seconds at a time, and repeating. Today I did the ab work shown in the 30 Day Shred video and (I believe since I was doing isometric ab exercises) I had not lost any tone or ability to do those. I have continued to lose fat around my tummy, with a 4 inch loss in 31 days (2 weeks of that no cardio or exercises using my legs [with the exception of some select isometric leg exercises]). Your doctor can tell you if you can do isometric exercises and when, and also if you should continue taking Phen while on recovery. If your doctor advises you not to use Phen for a while, drinking more water and eating fiber rich foods, including raw vegggies will help your hunger pangs.

I was able to find this info:\

"The patient can resume work within 3 -7 days after surgery. Nevertheless, deviated septum surgery recovery time maybe extended for patients, in which septoplasty is combined with other surgical procedures."

And this:
    "Patients should avoid any sort of heavy lifting or intense exercise for at least two weeks after the surgery."

I wish you well with your surgery and that you are soon feeling better . ~Val

Photos
    View albums

Thanks for the advice Val! I'll definitely be eating lots of vegetables and drinking lots of water during recovery...and fiber to deceive my body.

How's your knee doing?

Your poor husband went through some really uncomfortable procedures. How did he handle it? I hope he's feeling better.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Thank you, Flakita! My hubby is doing much better. His problem was he was hypoxic from not getting enough air flow. Now he can breathe out of his nose sooo much better, and his CPAP machine actually works, because his excess tissue has been removed, and again, he has more air getting to his lungs. His nose was sore about 5 days he said. And then when he would manipulate his nose, for about 2-3 weeks after. What hurt the most was his throat. Even a few weeks after the surgery, it was tender sometimes while he was eating. My knees are bothering me intermittently now. I'm still able to do some exercise. I'm am involved in a 30 Day Shred Challenge here, which started on the 27th. It's a workout DVD by Jillian Michaels from "The Biggest Loser." It's not very long, but it has some jumping moves in it which I am not able to do, so I modify them. Hubby and I are going on about a 1.5 mile walk here in a bit just to see how my knees do. We are going to take it slow and just chat while we walk. Be sure to keep us posted about how you are getting along. ~Val

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

I know I may be too late, but if you were on the hCG diet that could be possible.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Flakita and imgoon, I'm not sure eating only 500 calories a day (as required on hCG diet) while recovering from surgery is a great idea. Perhaps you might discuss this with your doctor? ~Val

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

Well actually after having surgery you don't have much of an appetite anyway, but checking your doctor is always the best option. I was just thrown something out there since you asked for suggestions.

Photos
    View albums

Default Update!

I'm back! It's been almost a week since the surgery. Everything went great, no bruises and hardly any swelling.

I behaved terribly diet-wise for the first 3 days (pizza, chocolate and cheesecake). In my defense, I could hardly distinguish flavors with my nose packed, as a great percentage of taste comes from the smell, so vegetables tasted like cardboard. I decided to give myself permission to eat whatever I craved until my nose packs were removed, and then back to dieting.

Friday - nose packs removed, it's such a joy to breathe!
    Saturday - re started my weight loss plan

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

My opinion is that if you feel ok then go back to exercising. I had a breast lift and augmentation a few years ago and was back in the gym 10 days later. I started out doing cardio and light weights then worked up as I wasn't sore. I'm used to working out 5-6 days so I was going stir crazy sitting home recovering. Do what you feel like doing. Doctors say to wait as a precaution but if you feel ok and aren't in pain go for it. If it causes problems stop of course, just use common sense about it. Getting in shape takes a long time, getting out of shape takes no time at all. Stamina and strength are lost in a few days, its amazing how quickly you get out of shape.

Photos
    View albums

^^^ so true!

I took the dog for a 30 minute walk today and felt fine. You're so right, I'm gonna start moving a bit every day and gradually increasing resistance. I'm not sure if it's a mental thing or what, but I feel better just knowing that I'm at least burning a few calories and not just sitting around.

Bronze Phenster Phen-omenal Mommy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

wow 99 pounds seems so tiny how tall are you?

NOV 30TH (SW)-160LBS
    DEC 29TH 149LB S (FIRST DAY ON PHENTERMINE)
    JAN 2ND (CW)-145LBS
    JAN 7TH (NW)-140LBS
    JAN 9TH (NW)-139LBS

Photos
    View albums

I'm 5' 3", but I'm a ballet dancer, we've got different standards. If I weren't a dancer I'd be perfectly ok with my current weight and measurements.

By the way, you're looking fantastic!! Congrats!
    Last edited by Flakita; January 11th, 2011 at 03:56 AM.