Close
    Photos
    View albums

Default Sodium in raw chicken

I have been grilling or baking chicken breasts and putting them in a container in the refrigerator for use as breakfast or some other quick meal when I am in a hurry.

The last week or so my sodium on the calorie tracking website is running a little higher than usual. When I looked into it it turns out that it is the chicken. I guess it gets all that sodium during the processing somehow. (360mg per 4oz.) 4oz of grilled/baked chicken was only running me about 100 calories a serving. I had been eating alot of chicken.

Just curious if anyone else had noticed that. I guess I better mix in some fish.

Scott D

2. Advertising
    advertising

Silver Phenster redemption_song's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

I have noticed the same thing and it is frustrating. I seem to be really sensitive to sodium and if I eat any where near the RDV of sodium I hold onto water weight like crazy. Not sure what the solution is, but thought I'd commiserate.

Photos
    View albums

Yeah I noticed this too and the bad part is I dont do fish!!! I hate it! Its the most nasty tasting thing I have ever eaten in my entire life! I dont even like any kind of seafood! Anything that swims I dont eat!!

Photos
    View albums

I don't like fish either. My doctor recommended taking fish oil capsules for the omega3 acid. I never knew chicken had so much sodium. Thank for the info guys!
    Every Saint has a past, but every sinner has a future.

Photos
    View albums

What about fresh unprocessed chicken breasts?

I get them from a butcher shop and I remove the skin, bones, and fat myself so I know nothing's added during processing.

Photos
    View albums

That is a good question. I would think that unless the butcher was slaughtering and dressing them on site that he probably gets his chickens from the same place as everyone else. So if they come to him from somewhere else they have already been processed.

All that being said, the chicken I was using was frozen so maybe they do something to it when they freeze them.

But I don't really know. I googled it the first day and a couple websites popped up that mentioned the added sodium from processing.

Scott D

Photos
    View albums

I used to buy my frozen chicken breasts from Meijer and right on the bag it says "with added juices" or something like that. Which basically tells you that they added flavoring a.k.a. sodium.

Check the package before you buy it. My understanding is if they add anything to the chicken it's suppose to be on the package.
    10/19/11 SW: 282.8
    10/26: 277.8 - 1st day
    1st goal: 250 2nd goal: 220 3rd goal: 199 - never remember being in the 1's.
    GW: 180 Overweight since 6th grade, first time I remember weighing myself (255), I was a junior in high school.

Photos
    View albums

All that being said, the chicken I was using was frozen so maybe they do something to it when they freeze them.

But I don't really know. I googled it the first day and a couple websites popped up that mentioned the added sodium from processing.

Scott D[/QUOTE]

Oh that is definitely the problem!! The frozen chicken packs freeze the chicken a salt solution. I used to buy them all the time until I read the packaging. Stay very far away from those! Chicken on it's own isn't bad one bit (skinless, of course), it is the packaged and processed brands that will kill you.

Keeping up the fight! Total Wellness Journey- Mind, Body, and Spirit!