Close
    Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Default food issues- psychological

Gosh, I went back and forth over posting this. I worry about what people think of me but I am going to go for it and post away.

I am an all or nothing kind of girl. It is easier for me to not eat anything than to eat a balanced diet. I have been on phen for less than 3 weeks. I took it for a week, stopped for 5 days until I saw my dr. because I thought I was having breathing side effects- dr. said it was my asthma. Now I have been back on for 5 days. I have lost about 16 pounds.

The thing is, I am afraid to eat. Each day, I have been eating 1 boiled egg white , 2 slices of turkey lunch meat and maybe 1/2 cup of fruit. When my husband is home on the weekends, I will eat some salad for dinner. During the week he doesn't get home till 7, so I tell him I already ate.

It's like I am afraid once I start eating I will over eat. I am good at cutting things out. My grandfather is like this too. When he decided to stop smoking-he went cold turkey, same thing when he quit drinking.

I think I would do better if it was something like cigarettes or alcohol. Something you can just give up but you have to deal with food everyday.

I do okay maintaining weight. I lost a lot of weight about 12 years ago ( and kept it off for about 5 ) but added it back due to back to back pregnancies and some med. issues that caused weight gain.

I am worried now that I will enter starvation mode and I will have to up my exercise in order to continue to lose weight.

Not sure what I am looking for in posting this, I guess I just wanted to put it out there and see if anyone has any wisdom or are in the same boat.

2. Advertising
    advertising

Bronze Phenster rasberrytwist381's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

Default ??

Part of taking the phen is to help with your appitite, along with this it is important to try and relearn to eat, the healthy way. It curbs your appitite so you can now eat smaller meals, and not feel as if your stomach is wanting to eat you. If you dont look into learning this you might be back doing it all over again after regaining.
    Look into maybe talking to someone about this, you have a fear but you shouldnt fear the food. Might be some underlying cause for this.
    286 05/14/2009 SW/HW With Phen
    279 05/23
    270 05/30
    271 06/06
    264 06/13
    262 06/20
    260 06/27
    259 07/18
    252 07/25
    245 09/10
    243 09/24
    240 10/07
    238 10/21
    236 11/05
    236 01/18/2010
    236 02/18
    247 03/01 Started Thyroid med
    240 03/13
    249 09/04 Restart Phen
    241 09/11
    237 09/18
    233 09/25
    230 10/23
    234 03/08/11 Starting Higher dose of Thyroid med and restarting phen
    230 03/23/11

Photos
    View albums

Default I agree

I too am afraid to eat, but you must get at least 1200 calories a day or your body will hold on to everything you put in there.
    Just make healthy choice and try to do 300-400 calories per meal plus your snacks or drinks and you will be ok.

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

It is ALL psychological! I totally get the all or nothing aspect. If I start the day not eating, I do great - but it's like once I start eating, even healthy choices, I just can't stop. Obviously, I wouldn't be the weight I am if I chose the nothing part of it, instead I've chose to eat EVERYTHING! But, over the last month, I have really been working on all of this. It's definitly a head game and we have to stay one step ahead! Someone else mentioned to prepack all your foods for the day and have them in only one area and that's it - that's all you get for the day but you need to eat it so you aren't starving yourself. I started phen 4 weeks ago and this last week was my worst, I totally binged and felt awful.
    It's good you posted because even if others don't feel the same or even don't agree, it's nice to vent. It really has helped me especially this last week to just put things out there and here what others say. Good luck to you!
    Summer Challenge BEFORE pic, 3/24/2012 214.6lbs

WEEK 1--3/28: Goal 212 Actual 213 (-1.6)
    WEEK 2--4/4: Goal 209 Actual
    Summer Challenge 3/24-6/30/2012

Change happens not by hatred but by love. Change happens when you understand what you want to change so deeply that there is no reason to do anything but act in your own best interest.
    ~Geneen Roth

Photos
    View albums

It was not until I dealt with my emotional issues that I was able to consistantly lose a significant amount of weight. I know for sure that I would have never been able to lose weight until I got that part of my life figured out. I was able to do it without seeing someone, but I really believe that there are people who are very talented that could help you with this. There is NO way that you can lose weight and become genuinely healthy if your issues with food are emotional, I know this from experience. And you are right, you have to eat to live. I know you desperately want to have a healthy relationship with food, we all do. The best gift you can give yourself is to find someone with the skills to help you determain a plan to do this. I refused to believe my problem was emotional, and was extremely overweight most of my twenties. Now I am very close to my goal, and I love my relationship with food. I think about what I eat. I choose what I eat rationally and with care for my body. I focus on treating myself as good as I try to treat others. I really do hope you are able to find a peaceful solution, I know the struggle, and it is not easy! Good luck!
    I have rid myself of 80lbs as of August 2010. Some with Phen, some without.
    1st time on Phen: SW230 EW 200
    2nd time on Phen: SW202 Current weight:161

My Wedding, Sept 4th, 2010 160 Pounds!

The old me....and the new me!!

Highest weight:250 Current weight:166

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

@ cesie, it sounds like a lot of it is about power/control. Is there something you can do to help you feel more in control and empowered other than depriving yourself of nutrients/food ?? I also think the "all or nothing" or "black/white thinking" (it's called a cognitive distortion in cognitive therapy) can be rather dangerous. Once you hit one end of the extreme (say you overeat) you can feel like a failure and totally out of control, but when you're able to tolerate the shades of gray, you can ease up and not be too tough on yourself. (sorry for lecturing! I'm a psychology grad student, and I'm a lifetime member of all/nothing thinking and have to keep on working at it)

I really like Rdmdmom's idea about pre-packing the day's food and sticking them in one area of the fridge so you're not tempted to reach for other foods in sight. I also like Kristen's comments in other threads about cooking/dining in with her fiance, because she knows what she puts in the food. There you go, more control in her situation, but she allows herself a treat or two here and there and not feel like it's the end of the world.

i also tend to feel very out of control with food, but lately only when I eat out, dine w/ other people, or on weekends when I'm not in a structured environment. I call myself a lawnmower because when I used to stressed/anxious or just starving after a long day at work, I eat EVERYTHING in sight: in the fridge, on my kitchen counter, dig up from the garbage, old chocolate in the freezer! So now I do not purchase tempting foods- I stock up on tons of juicy fruits/vegs/low fat cold cuts and I do not allow myself to go super hungry (at 5pm, my weakest point of the day, I will have a cheese stick with an apple on my commute home from work). Logging in my food and counting calories also gave me a very good sense of control because I know what I am putting in my body. I am still trying to negotiate with dinning out w/ friends because I'm scared of the calories in the restaurants (and NYC has such delicious foods, but most don't post calories on the menu!) so I am avoiding that for now- which means if you want to hang out with me in the next few months, we gotta do an activity that's non-food or non-alcohol related!

SW (6/3/10): 212.2 Started Weight Watchers
    7/10/10: 205 Started Phen
    7/24/10: 199 NO MORE 200's!
    8/7/10: 193
    8/21/10: 188
    9/2/10: 185 1st mini goal met!
    9/11/10: 182 <<30 lbs lost!>>
    9/25/10: 178

2nd Mini Goal: 175 by Halloween
    3rd Mini Goal/GW: 160 by 12/31/10

Photos
    View albums

I seen a posting once that said we should treat food as fuel and energy. Your car won't go without fuel, your house will not light up without energy. So our bodies can not go or "light up" without food. Have the mindset that you are eating only so your body has energy.

I've found that I plan my week when I grocery shop. I'll tend to have the same or very similar breakfast and lunch during the work week all week. This makes it easier for me when planning. I do mix it up with different kinds of fruit or veggies. As for dinner, I work full time, come home to a 2 year old who's always happy to see me and a stay at home dad. So I feel like I have lots of people to please. I've found that if I make several meals on Sunday evening it's so much easier during the week. Sunday I made grilled chicken, made enough for 2 meals, also baked a marinated turkey breast, and cooked many chicken breasts on my George Foreman Grill. We had the chicken from the grill on Sunday, Monday was the marinated turkey breast, Tuesday was the chicken breasts from the george foreman grill - no seasoning, so we used a little BBQ sauce. Tonight will be whatever is leftover from these meals. Tomorrow we'll probably still have some leftover, so I'll chop it into piece, mix the turkey and chicken together and have it on a spinach salad for dinner. I do this quite often. It saves a lot of time, then all we need to do is make some veggies!!

Also found that if I plan what I'm going to eat the night before, it's easier in the morning.

Just remember you have to eat in order to keep your metabolism working.
    10/19/11 SW: 282.8
    10/26: 277.8 - 1st day
    1st goal: 250 2nd goal: 220 3rd goal: 199 - never remember being in the 1's.
    GW: 180 Overweight since 6th grade, first time I remember weighing myself (255), I was a junior in high school.

Photos
    View albums

one thing that can help here is preplanning a grocery store trip. I have mentioned e-mealz.com here before, so I wont go too much into it here. But one of the benefitgs of e-mealz is that you have a preplanned menu for dinner for every night of the week. It gives you a shopping list of exactly what you need to buy to make every meal. So when you go to the store, you buy exactly what you need and nothing else.

The hidden benefit is that when you eat dinner, you know you cannot eat more than what is planned because if you do, you will be stealing the ingredients needed to make the other planned meals.

Of course, e-mealz isnt the only way to do that, but it does help. And also dinner isn't the only meal you shop for. So the key is that your diet begins at the grocery store. Make sure what you buy there is something you don't mind being tempted with later. And of course, never shop while hungry!

Photos
    View albums

You are NOT alone! I think most of us are the same way and until we learn how to work through that, we will never have a healthy relationship with food.
    Diana

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." ~Maria Robinson

9/29/09 - 213 - started Phen, B12 w/AMP, and Lipo B
    10/03/09 - 210 (-3)
    10/21/09 - 202 (-8.3) Dr's scale. YAY!!!
    10/29/09 - 203 (+1) WTF??
    11/05/09 - 198 (-5) Yay, back on track!

7/23/2010 - 231 - Starting Over!!
    7/31/2010 - 218 (-13)
    8/2/2010 - 215 (-3)
    8/4/2010 - 211 (-4)

Blog Entries
    Photos
    View albums

I do exactly what 'Monkey's Mom' does. I bulk-cook on the weekend to have meals during the week and put serving size meals into plastic containers (like Glad). I put some in the frige and some in the freezer. This makes it easier to make time to work out after work when I don't have to worry about "what to eat" for dinner.

I may have one night a week where - my kids have to eat what they can find and I'll have a salad with whatever protein I have left over.

I also pre-pack my snacks and bag them up to go with with pre-pack meals and I take them to work. When I finish, I'm done eating for the day.

Spending the time on the weekend really makes keeping track of my eating so much easier.

You can do it to. There a lot of tips on here.

Good luck.

Photos
    View albums

I totally feel you --- I don't take it to that extreme, but once I cheat for the day, I throw the towel in for the rest of the day and binge. Its awful and I wake up the next day with a guilt hangover and try to start again. My mind tells me "you'll always be fat so why even try" --- and the days where I eat like 1000 calories and work out and the scale doesn't move? Forget about it -- I want to give up b/c my mind says "why work so hard if u see no results, just stay fat"

But on those days I tell myself to shutup. I brush myself off and I move forward. You can have a bad day, just move past it when its over. Somoene once told me "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" --- I've had some damn good food in my life, but never been thin... so I'm willing to try the thin out for size! lol

We all battle with our own demons, just learn how to tune urs out and push forward honey - u can do it!

Also planning every single detail of what's going in ur mouth everyday is the best way to stay on track. I also have semi-cheat foods around me... like 60 calorie chocolate puddings for example. If I feel like "binging" I have 2 of those or maybe even 3... but in the end I didn't even have 200 calories and I didn't binge on a chocolate cake.

Good luck!

SW 7/13/10 - 190 lbs
    12/20/10 - 155 lbs -- holidaze are killing me
    1/26/11 - 152 lbs -- plateaus STINK

ugh - slowly but surely!

6-ish months in:

Well, when u put it like this.... I suppose I see a difference!

Silver Phenster redemption_song's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

I could have written your post, being "all or nothing" is my biggest struggle with weight loss. I can do fantastically for a few weeks but then I slip up once and feel like I've failed so I might as well not try. I know that it doesn't make a lot of sense I just don't know how to change my thinking. I am this way in most aspects of my life and it is frustrating to try to deal with. I'm really struggling to try to get in the right amount of calories, I don't want my weight to bouce right back up after I go off of phen. Good luck to you.

Photos
    View albums

I MAKE MYSELF A MENU LIKE RESTAURANT SYLE

BREAKFAST
    AT LEAST 5 CHOICES WITH A LOT OF FOOD ON IT

BREAKFAST
    EGG - BOILED 60 CALS
    - FRIED 78 CALS

TOAST -60
    WITH BUTTER -

OATMEAL - 150
    WITH BANANA -105