Close
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dumbfox

Thread: Atkins and Phentermine

Photos
    View albums

Question

Hello all,

I have been low-carb dieting (less than 30gr a day) for the last two and a half years with a weight loss of only 50 pounds (I still have 100 more to lose).

My doctor has offered to give me a prescription of Phentermine for a 3-4 month run (all they do at a time) and says I can do it along with the low-carb diet. I guess the hope is it will kick start the weight loss as I am losing less than half a pound a week when you figure out the numbers.

It seems the main reason for taking Phen is the appetite suppressant qualities, but I already have appetite suppression from the low-carb diet, so my doctor will prescribing it more as a stimulant (30 mg) to help the weight loss move along.

Has anyone combined low-carb and phen? I see mostly people doing low-cal and phen.

Also, I am actually leaning toward not getting the prescription with all the side affects I am reading about. I really don't need increased irritability and insomnia! Are the side affects really as bad as I am reading about (mostly on these boards).

Thank you so much for any help you can give. I told my doctor I would think about taking it and get back to him in about 2 weeks...
    Ann Marie

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

yes yes yes yes !!!! I lost my first 17.5 lbs on phen and 6 days a week of exercise, and tons of water. Then I hit a plateau!! Nothing I did could break it; more exercise, less cals, more cals, weights, nothing!! Then I started Atkins on 6/13/05 at 167.5, it's now 6/19/05 and I am 162lbs. I HIGHLY recommend Atkins, to peel off those lbs., I know the diet may be controversial, but it worked for me when nothing else would. Good luck! :blabla:

Photos
    View albums

Hi

Its well worth the try. I recommend it as well.

Currently, June 1st

145!
    thighs 21"
    calves 14"
    biceps 11.5"
    midriff (small of waist) 32.5"
    waist (at bellybutton) 35.25"
    hip 39.5"
    bust 39"

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I have tryed everything as well atkins is the only thing that seems to work for me. I lost 8 pounds on atkins awhile ago and then hit a platue and gave up I am doing atkins and taking phen now and I have lost 14 pds since 5/24/2005
    I work out 6 daysa a week at the gym for an hour and a half also but I did that before I started phen.
    I never lost more than 5 pds and no sizes.
    The only side effects I get is really dry mouth which just helps me drink more water. I do have a problem sleeping but I take 1 unisom every night and I sleep pretty good. I took that before cuz of my stress level tho. My mom sleeps fine but also gets dry mouth.

hope that helps.

Photos
    View albums

Hello!

This is my first time posting.

I started taking Phen 6 days ago and have already lost a total of 8 POUNDS.

I am taking 37 mg and on a low carb diet, usually around 60-70 carbs/day. I have not been able to exercise outside of my normal activites this week because I have been busy with my family. I am planning to start exercising this coming week with some different kinds of activities (swimming, walking, etc.)

I have noticed some side effects, but after losing 8 pounds, it is totally worth it.
    The effects I have noticed are a nervous feeling, kind of fidgety and a little trouble sleeping.

I also had to up my calories a little, because I was not hungry, therefore, forcing myself to eat and only taking in about 600 calories. I am glad to get the info about staying above 1200 from this forum. Otherwise, I might not have known until I see my doctor again a few weeks.

To cut back from some of the side effects, my doctor advised me to take the pills every other day.

Also, I am going to try taking 1/2 a pill tomorrow, to see if it will work for me.

I love this medicine and I am really excited to see what it will do for me. I have seen what it has done for so many people from these forums. Thanks so much for sharing your info, pics, etc.

I am really excited to find these forums and get all this great advice and information.

Take Care!
    Leslie

5'5" - 27 Years Old

The 2 Men in My Life -
    Husband, Neal, and 2 yr old Dylan

SW 220 (Started Phen 6/14/05)
    CW 212
    GW 140

Weight Loss
    Week 1 - 8 Pounds

"Nothing Tastes As Good As Thin Will Feel"

Photos
    View albums

Thanks for the replies everyone! Keep them coming! I wonder if I should just try it and if I don't like the side effects I can always stop them, right? (especially since I will not have been on them a long time...)
    Ann Marie

Photos
    View albums

Here in australia I was told to take it everyday 37mg.
    The first night I only slept for 4 hours and was really wired. The next night 6 hours, the next 7, then the next 8 hours. My mouth was dry - but that just made me drink more water.
    The side effects only lasted about a week in total, your body slowly adjusts and the worst was over for me in 3 days I have been on it now for 3 weeks and have no side effects at all and have not for at least a week.
    No matter what only I choose what goes into my mouth

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I have been taking 37mg for two months now. The side effects lasted for about two weeks and then they went away. For me, the side effects weren't that bad once I realized it was normal. I had TONS of energy and kinda felt like I was in overdrive. I got a lot done during those two weeks.
    The only side effect that I still have is the dry mouth, which does force you to drink all your water.
    It does work, I have lost 18 pounds in two months.
    Height: 5'4"
    SW: 196
    180 6/7/05
    178 6/16/05
    176 6/23/05
    173 6/30/05
    171 7/11/05
    166 8/13/05
    GW: 145-140

Photos
    View albums

I tried South Beach for about 5 days on phen and I just couldn't do it because of the lack of energy. I was totally unable to work out. Everyone is different though and I say give it a try.

You can always ask your doctor about Bontril (phendimetrazine) which is similar to phen but reportedly the mildest as far as side effects. I alternate it with phen and Didrex and will vouch for that in my case. I don't feel it's as strong in the appetite suppressing department but like you said, you don't need that as much.
    studentrn2014 likes this.

Measurements:
    Bust - Was 42" ~ Now 36"
    Waist - Was 39" ~ Now 27"
    Hips - Was 46" ~ Now 38"

See my critters:

Photos
    View albums

BUMP!
    Ann Marie

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

shoot, im gonna start doing it like....tomorrow. i just started back on phen monday..so starting tomorrow im doing atkins....IT WORKS!!!!!

Photos
    View albums

yes it truly does work.

Just be careful if you have alcoholic beverages. It more than doubles the effect.

Currently, June 1st

145!
    thighs 21"
    calves 14"
    biceps 11.5"
    midriff (small of waist) 32.5"
    waist (at bellybutton) 35.25"
    hip 39.5"
    bust 39"

Photos
    View albums

I'm understanding your question to be that you wonder if phen is worth the side effects, not if Adkins works since you are already low-carbing. So, yes, for me phen is great! I never got the side effects that most have. Never felt jittery, never had those bursts of energy where you can clean everything in sight. I so desperately wanted it too! I still want to take a nap all the time. (In fact, I take fat burners as well, doesn't effect me negatively, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else!) I sleep very hard at night and found that I woke up a few times during the night, but went back to sleep. And that only lasted a couple of weeks and I sleep just as hard again. The appetite suppresant is wonderful and I do think it helped move my motabolism up a few notches. I'd give it whirl if I was you just to see what it can do for you. You never know! Good luck.

Alec - 11 years
    Lucas - 10 years

Gavin - 2 years
    Mashaela - 4 years

Photos
    View albums

I am in the same boat you are ...well sorta i have been on and off the Atkins wagon lost 45 then maintained for a year still have 80 left to go... I have been on Atkins (20 carbs) I stay on induction... and on phen for two weeks now...I didnt have a big loss like some during the first week but I think that was because I didnt have the water weight to lose.... You might try the fat fast its in your book... its really boring but with the phen you wont be hungry on it (900) cals with 75-80% of cal from fat) and you only do it for like 3 days to jump your metabolism out of plateau....works wonders. boring though. search online for some other recipes... macadamia nuts...mmmmm... tho I am prolly not a good role model I am at the moment quite frustrated with any diet right now.
    Hey, diddle, diddle
    I'm watching my middle,
    I'm hoping to to slim it quite soon;
    But eating's such fun
    It may not get done
    Till my dish runs away with my spoon!

HW 245
    SW 215 on June 1, 2005
    CW 210 on June 4,2005 Adkins only

June 6 Started Phen
    CW 210 6.27.05

Photos
    View albums

I'm low carbing and I think with the Ketosis suppressing the appetite combined with Phen it is great. The one thing that also keeps me motivated is the Ketostix. They are purple more through out the day. I know it's my own fat being burned also because I eat 1200-1400 a day. To maintain my weight I need 3000. Before the only time they would get purple is when I ate a huge HIGH fat/LOW Carb meal of about 1500-2000 calories. I know it was not my fat being burned it was the fat from the food. So I am doing both phen & low carbing. I can't wait to get my cholesterol checked next week. Good Luck & God Bless. kelly

Photos
    View albums

I am following a low carb eating plan combined with Adipex-P. I have been following this plan going on my fifth week and have lost a total of 19.8 pounds(with no excersise). Its not atkins more like south beach. If there is a huge difference. As far as side effects high blood pressure and mainly nothing else. If you take your dose(mine is 1/2 a 37.5 tablet) early in the morning I dont think you will experience insomnia. I never felt like I was on speed or buzzing like I have with every other non-perscription pill. So good luck and think it over.-nat
    Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future. ~ Deepak Chopra ~

_Second Time on Phen Board_
    New Heaviest: 04/12/10 255LBS.
    Start Phen. : 06/01/10 245LBS.
    06/01/10-06/08/10 ?

Photos
    View albums

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I still keep teetering between yes and no. My doctor would be prescribing the 30 mg (I asked him to write it down so I could research it before deciding).

I am just so frustrated with the perpetually stalled scale this morning that I am leaning once again toward yes (though last night I was leaning toward no). I guess since I have no health problems except the weight (High blood pressure went away with the first 50 lbs) it is hard to justify the pills. I just don't want to do something unhealthy for my body unnecessarily...
    Ann Marie

Photos
    View albums

Maybe look at it this way. Phen would be OK for you to try because you don't have any health problems. If you have high blood pressure, for example, phen could be dangerous if it raises it higher. Not everyone has those side effects though, either. Having a scale stalled for a year would be more than enough to have me make the leap. I was stalled for 4 weeks until this last Monday and I was going insane! I have no clue how you handled it for a year! You must be a very patient person.

Good luck!

Alec - 11 years
    Lucas - 10 years

Gavin - 2 years
    Mashaela - 4 years

Photos
    View albums

LOL, Allum,

Not patient normallly, just scared to gain back any weight I have lost!

Also, perhaps insane...isn't the definition of insanity doing the same things over and over again but expecting different results?? LOL

Honestly, though, I feel better when eating this way, which is why I probably stick with it. I had horrible (eat through my throat) heartburn which on low-carb is just gone, with no meds. I had High Blood pressure, now it is gone. I got low-blood sugar shakes frequently, which are now gone. I had chronic skin yeast infections that are now totally gone. I am sure I was on the road to being a diabetic and I don't want to go there, so I stay with this way for my health.

It would just be nice to be a normal weight as well.
    Ann Marie

I AM WILLING TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO LIVE A HEALTHY SLIMMER LIFE
    Photos
    View albums

I did atkins without phen. I've lost count as far as how much weight I have lost doing it. Atleast 60lbs on atkins and 50lbs before I started lowcarb

From week to week I change my carb count. Some weeks I bring them up a bit and some weeks I lower them. The appetite supression from ketosis was more than enough for me

Goodluck and hang in there