Close
    Photos
    View albums

Question

Ok I have been doing my research on the use of "Phen-Pro" which is the combination of phentermine and a low dose of one of the following: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, trazadone or Effexor. The second medicine is necessary because phentermine used alone stops working after a few weeks. The second medicine makes phentermine work longer and better. Although the second medicine is also an antidepressant, its use in the phen-pro combination has nothing to do with depression.

I have found a doctor within an hour of my home that does prescribe Phen Pro and for as long as you need it. Many Phen Pro doctors have prescribed it for up to 10 years when needed.

Here is some VERy interesting info I found.

The Eli-Lilly Funded Phen-Pro Study
    For years Dr. Anchors and others begged the Eli Lilly company, manufacturer of Prozac, to fund a study of phen-pro.

In January 1999 Eli Lilly finally funded a small study in which independent data collectors were sent to the offices of Drs. Michael Anchors in Maryland, Linda Brunson in Virginia and Dennis Padla in Michigan. The collectors collected the data on ALL patients on phentermine-Prozac and the data was analyzed by Keith Selander, an independent statistician.

The results, shown in the following graph, show that 117 patients on phentermine alone did not lose weight whereas 711 patients on phen-pro lost about 15% (average) of their total body weight in 9 months. This is far better than the results for Meridia or Xenical.
    [IMG]http://www.************/images/LillyStudy.gif[/IMG]

DETAILS

During 1992-1997 fenfluramine was often added to phentermine to enhance the anorexiant action of phentermine[1], but in 1997 fenfluramine was withdrawn from the U.S. market after being linked to cardiac valvulopathy.[2] Even in the heyday of the “phen-fen” combination, a minority of physicians used the phentermine-fluoxetine combination instead of phen-fen[3], and the number of these physicians grew dramatically after fenfluramine was withdrawn. In spite of this, phentermine-fluoxetine combination received little attention from the media. There has been no published association between phentermine or fluoxetine and cardiac valvulopathy.[4]

In January 1999 the Eli Lilly Company, maker of fluoxetine, funded a retrospective trial of phentermine-fluoxetine, which we report here.

Figure
    Percent weight loss versus time in obese patients on phentermine alone versus phentermine-fluoxetine combination

Methods
    Professional data collectors were sent to the offices of Drs. Anchors, Padla and Brunson to collect data, using a standard protocol, from the charts of all obese patients (BMI > 30) treated with phentermine alone or the phentermine-fluoxetine combination. The doctors, practicing in different states without knowledge of each other during the time-period of the study, prescribed generic phentermine 30 mg with or without fluoxetine 20 mg per day. In addition, they recommended a low-calorie diet and exercise, with few specifics. The follow-up interval varied from every 2 weeks to 3 months. The data were analyzed by independent statistical consultant Keith Selander, and James Rochon MD of John Hopkins University provided valuable advice and oversight.

Results
    117 patients on phentermine alone lost 3.7 + 6.6% (mean + SD) of their body weight, mostly within the first 6 weeks of therapy, and then regained their weight. 711 patients on phentermine-fluoxetine combination lost 11.6 + 9.6% of their weight with no noticeable tendency to regain; 20% of the cohort reached ideal body weight during the 18 months of the trial. There were no significant adverse events. Over 100 echocardiograms on the study subjects showed no evidence of cardiac valvulopathy.

Comment
    Clinical experience suggests that the addition of fluoxetine, and some other SSRI drugs as well3, may enhance and extend the anorexiant action of phentermine. At a time when so many Americans are obese and so few effective anorexiants are available, a double-blind placebo-controlled trial of phentermine-fluoxetine is long overdue.

Michael Anchors, MD, PhD
    Georgetown University School of Medicine
    Washington DC

Dennis Padla, MD
    St. Joseph MI

Linda Brunson, MD
    Roanoke, VA

Dr. Anchors' Presentation to the Florida State Medical Board

On February 2, Dr. Anchors attended the meeting of the Florida State Board of Medicine seeking to get the board to repeal its regulation, unique in the nation, banning phen-pro. Here is a copy of Dr. A's speech

Good morning, colleagues, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for your rapid response to my letter of December 1 and the opportunity to address you. I am seeking to strike paragraph 2 from Rule 64B8-9.012 of the Florida Administrative Code. The whole Rule 64B8 deals with the manner in which weight-loss doctors, i.e. bariatricians, in Florida treat their patients. It is my understanding that the rule was put in place in 1997 to deal with the problem of large "pill-mill" phen-fen type clinics dispensing medications without properly qualifying patients, examining or instructing them. Rule 64B8 shut down that abuse. But one part of the rule, paragraph #2, has lost its relevance as a result of subsequent research and clinical experience. Its existence hinders the ability of Florida bariatricians to combat obesity, and it puts true physicians in legal jeopardy. Paragraph #2 states...

Physicians in Florida are prohibited from prescribing, ordering, dispensing, or administering any weight loss enhancer that is both a serotonergic and anorexic agent unless the drug has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) specifically for use in weight loss management. Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIS) that have not been approved by the FDA for weight loss may not be prescribed, ordered, dispensed, or administered for such purposes.

I would like to strike out this entire paragraph, leaving the rest of the rule intact. It would be appropriate to do it today, but I don’t expect that. The cautious approach is to appoint a committee to consult with me, my colleagues, and my critics, to determine the truth of my claims and report back to the board.

I am Dr. Michael Anchors. I was raised in Jacksonville, Florida. My MD degree is from the University of Miami, Coral Gables and my PhD in biochemistry from Harvard Medical School. I did research at UCLA and the NIH for seven years. I have been in the private practice of internal medicine in Maryland for 16 years. I am on the adjunct faculty of Georgetown Medical School. I published letters regarding the “phen-pro” combination of phentermine and Prozac in Archives of Internal Medicine and in my book Safer Than Phen-Fen [Prima Press, 1997] I own the patent on phen-pro, though I have never charged for it. I have appeared on ABC, NBC, Fox and CNN News, "Montel", "Hard Copy" and "Good Morning, America", in "Newsweek" magazine, radio and newspapers.

I will not benefit financially from my effort here today; my book is no longer in print and my patent is near the end. I am here today only because some Florida physicians and obese patients who wish to use phen-pro asked me to seek the elimination of paragraph #2.I’ll be the first to admit that medicines are not the most important part of weight control. The most important job is to tell people that overeating is destroying America. Obesity is the first or second most common preventable cause of death, but Americans have no respect for it. Television suppresses the story in order to sell food commercials, and most physicians have even given up. Meanwhile, 300,000 people die from obesity each year.

The simple truth of the matter is that doctors who use safe diet pills get more people to lose weight and keep weight off than doctors who do not; and the phen-pro combination is the most effective medical plan available. Since March 1995, I have treated 1972 obese patients with the result that 548 reached ideal body weight. Fifteen lost 100 lb, four lost 150. Diabetics saw their diabetes go away (two in January, four last year). Hundreds who would have had diabetes, never will.

There are FDA-approved diet pills, Meridia and Xenical, but they are less effective. Eli Lilly, the manufacturer of Prozac, financed a large retrospective study of phen-pro [828 patients], sending a statistician and data collectors to my office, to Dennis Padla's in Michigan and Bonny Lee's in Virginia, to collect all the data from the charts of all the patients on phen-pro. The study will be published in Obesity Research Update. I have given you a copy.

I am not alone in prescribing phen-pro. Hundreds of doctors around the country prescribe it, too. I have brought letters from doctors in other states. These are not slouch doctors. Richard Atkinson is president of the American Obesity Association. Richard Rothman chief of psychopharmacology at the NIDA. Steve Van Ore former president of the Arkansas Bariatric Society. Alan Schulman prominent gastroenterologist & past president of Shady Grove Hospital. There are so many I can’t name them all.

Let’s consider paragraph #2 specifically. The scientific rationale for the paragraph is unclear. It may have been a misunderstanding of the cases of heart valve disease seen in 1997. The important thing for you to know is that ALL the cases of heart valve disease and primary pulmonary hypertension (PPH) associated with phen-fen were due to the fenfluramine part of the combination alone, NOT the phentermine part, NOT Prozac, and NOT the combination of medicines. Lucien Abenhaim, who originally published the association between fenfluramine and PPH, wrote in the New England Journal of Medicine in 2000 that Prozac was protective–-it prevented PPH and heart valve disease. Doctors Una McCann at Johns Hopkins, Rothman at the N.I.H and Raiteri in Genoa, Italy, are in agreement. I have the scientific references. Please listen closely . . .

There has not been a single case of heart valve disease associated with Prozac or phentermine, despite intense scrutiny by the FDA and a zillion lawyers.

- Not one malpractice case has been filed against a phen-pro doctor.

- No manufacturer of phentermine or Prozac has paid out a penny in settlements or damages.

- There is not a single scientific theory left standing by which Prozac or phentermine could cause heart valve disease.

If you are waiting for the FDA to approve phen-pro, you will never see it happen, because no pharmaceutical company will ever ask the FDA. Prozac and phentermine are generic drugs. No company has a sufficient financial interest.

But Florida allows doctors to prescribe medicines off-label. The FDA itself has written, and I quote, “The FDA recognizes that off-label use of drugs by prescribers is often appropriate and may represent the standard of practice.” Consider that Prozac itself is regularly used for anxiety, PMS, ADD, premature ejaculation, irritable bowel syndrome and autism--none of these are FDA-approved indications. Florida allows Prozac to be prescribed off-label for all those indications. Why not for obesity? If there is no scientific reason why not, then why not?

Posted by: Michael Anchors MD PhD on Aug 07, 03 | 4:10 pm |
    [0] comments

Also
    Phen-Pro Patent
    Michael Anchors was issued a U.S. Patent on Phen-Pro, patent number 5,795,895, on August 18, 1998.

This patent includes all use of the combination of phentermine and an SSRI drug for the treatment of obesity.

For the good of the public at large, Dr. Anchors is happy to allow private physicians, in routine medical practice, to use phen-pro free of charge. Larger commercial enterprises and all multidoctor or multiclinic enterprises must seek written permission from Dr. Anchors.

So with that being said is anyone here using the Phen Pro method? I am going to see the doctor DR Anchor told me to go see that within an hour of my area. I seriously hope this helps me. I have almost lost all effects of Phen alone. I have lost a total of 29 lbs on Phen in 2 months but I lost the first 18-20 in the first month so not as big difference in the second month. I just want to know the opinions from you guys and gals on the Phen Pro method??

Starting Weight:278 lbs (07-12-05)
    Current Weight: 235 lbs (11-14-05)
    Current Weight: 230 lbs (11-19-05)
    Current Weight: 230 lbs (After Thanksgiving YAYY no gainage!)
    Yea this is me as of Dec 16th! NO THIS IS NOT MY REAL HAIR! lol I BELIEVE in the WEAVE! Jus call me Weaverella lol Aint I a sexy lil thang in these pics? Go on, say it, just admit I am one sexy lil *** chick in these pics wit all my weave!! You KNOW Im right!

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

Here is a list of doctors by state that prescribe and support the use of Phen Pro.

Arizona
    Donald Robertson, M.D.
    7331 Osborn Drive
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251
    (480) 949-5566

Arkansas
    Steve Van Ore, M.D.
    119 W. Central
    Harrison, AK 72601
    (870) 365-2273

California
    Charles Leroy, M.D.
    1305 W. Arrow Highway, Suite 107
    San Dimas CA 91773
    (909) 592-1961

-------------------------

Lawrence Mayer, M.D.
    18911 Tenderfoot Trail
    Newhall, CA 91321
    (661) 222-7272

Robert Skversky, M.D.
    Weight No More
    320 Superior Ave #210
    Newport Beach, CA 92663-2741
    (949) 645-2936

Gregory Wolf, M.D.
    2617 E Chapman Ave., Suite 204
    Orange CA 92869-3229
    (714) 633-4040

Canada
    Paul William Medve, M.D.
    148 Edgehill Dr
    Kitchener, Ontario N2G 3W6
    Canada
    (519) 741-1177

Connecticut
    Kent Sharian, M.D.
    55 Whiting Street
    Plainville, CT 06062
    (860)793-9703

Georgia
    Bill Lathan, M.D.
    1938 Peachtree Rd.
    Atlanta, GA 30309
    (404) 351-5792

Raymond Ramirez, M.D.
    3369 Buford Highway, Suite 810
    Atlanta, GA 30329

Illinois
    Victoria Adeleye, M.D.
    246 E. Janata Blvd
    Lombard, IL 60173
    (630) 627-8446

Indiana
    (Jay) Roger Andrew Piatek, M.D.
    745 Beachway Dr
    Indianapolis, IN 46224
    317- 243-3000

Kentucky
    Glenn Sherman, D.O.
    4434 Taylor Dr
    Owensboro, KY 42303
    812- 684-9030

Maryland
    Michael Anchors, M.D., Ph.D.
    16220 Frederick Rd., Suite 210
    Gaithersburg, MD 20877
    301-990-6061

Matthew G. Beckwith MD
    *****wood Medical Center
    11110 Medical Campus Road, Suite 107
    Hagerstown, Maryland 21742
    301-714-4400

Paul M Rivas, MD
    Rivas Medical Weight Loss Program
    6701 N Charles St #4904
    Baltimore, MD 21204
    (410) 583-5677

Michigan
    Dennis Padla, M.D.
    820 Lester Ave.
    St. Joseph, MI 49085
    616-983-3885

Minnesota
    William L Wilson, M.D.
    401 NW 1st St
    Chisholm, MN 55719
    (218) 254-7476

New Jersey
    Sheldon Levine, M.D.
    Valley Regional Medical Center, Suite 210
    400 Franklin Turnpike
    Mahwah, NJ 07430
    201-934-1500

New York
    Stan and Stacy Title, M.D.
    200 West 57th Street
    New York, NY
    212-581-9532

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stan and Stacy Title, M.D.
    142-10 Roosevelt Ave.
    Flushing NY 11354
    718-358-3310

North Carolina
    Jesse Consing, M.D.
    Hildebran-Icard Family Medical Center
    517 Main Ave.
    West Hickory, NC 28637
    828-397-5561

Ohio
    Paul A Wehrum Sr, D.O.
    5 Severance Circle Ste 502
    Cleveland Heights OH 44118
    (216) 291-3223 phone
    (216) 291-5642 fax

Robert Whitehead, M.D.
    First Day Weight Management
    150 W. Wilson Bridge Rd., Suite 202
    Worthington OH 43085
    614-985-3060

Pennsylvania
    Kim Hatcher, M.D.
    119 Professional Center
    1265 Wayne Ave., Suite 107
    Indiana, PA 15701

James Mayo, M.D.
    562 Shearer St. #201
    Greensburg, PA 15601
    724-837-9670

Texas
    Richard E. Branch, M.D.
    15150 Preston Road, Suite 300
    Dallas, Texas 75248
    972-934-3231

Virginia
    Bonny Lee, R.N.
    Center for Bariatric Medicine
    2728 Colonia Ave Ste 10
    Roanoke, VA 24015
    (540) 982-0250

Alan Terlinsky MD
    611 South Carlin Springs Rd., Suite 411
    Arlington VA 22204
    703-379-7110

West Virginia
    Cameron Duffy, M.D.
    101 Marcley Drive
    Martinburg, WV 25401
    301-263-8911

Yea this is me as of Dec 16th! NO THIS IS NOT MY REAL HAIR! lol I BELIEVE in the WEAVE! Jus call me Weaverella lol Aint I a sexy lil thang in these pics? Go on, say it, just admit I am one sexy lil *** chick in these pics wit all my weave!! You KNOW Im right!

Photos
    View albums

Wow!! Very interesting. I will ask my doctor about this.

Photos
    View albums

I tryed phen with effexor and my weightloss stopped. I actually started gaining weight even though i was exercising and only eating 1200 calories a day. I switched to a different weightloss dr. and he told me that it was the effexor that was making me gain the weight I got off effexor and have been doing a little bit better with my weightloss. But everyone is different. Let us know how it works for you.

Photos
    View albums

Well Im not sure about effexor never tried it but I do know that there is only certain antidepressants that work with the Phen Pro method AND the normal MG used for depression etc is TOO high to do any difference. You have to take a certain SMALL dosage with it to have the wanted effects. I took a Lexapro 20mg today with my Phen and BOYYYY whew! Im alittle jumpy like on the first day of Phen but totally NOT hungry AT ALL. I will let you know how it works for me.

Also I was told that for severely obese people, use Topamax instead of Prozac. Prozac and Phen is for those who need to lost alittle weight and Topamax works best for those needing to lose ALOT of weight. I still have 75-100 to go but Im on the Lexapro with it right now. I will see about getting on the Topamaz next Thursday when I see my dr again for more Phen.

The charts, well if they are correct, show a very big difference in Phen and Phen Pro results. If it does work, its worth trying. ALSO Dr. Anchor has prescribed Phen Pro to people for up to 10 years at a time. He has done many studies and has had NO problem with long term use of Phen Pro. I just think its worth checking into.

Purple People Eater
    Photos
    View albums

Hey Babygurl, thanks for the info. I'll pass it along to people I know. YOu've done well on your weight loss. WTG on that 21 pounds lost. Got any more pics. It's still hard to believe you don't weigh in onederland. Anyhow, keep it going girl.

Missus

Hard work has made it easy. That is my secret. That is why I win.

-Nadia Comaneci

Photos
    View albums

Babygurlz, thanks for posting that. Very interesting!

I've been on Welbutrin for a couple of years, and the phen for about two months. So far, i'm thrilled with my results, but this info is good to have for down the road.

Dee
    SW 192
    CW 151
    GW 130

Photos
    View albums

DeeEmm what dosage are you taking of Welbutrin? I know I have been on antidepressants for couple years myself and have tried them all so to speak. I know the dr said you have to take a much lower lose or it will cancel out the Phen. He said that you have to take certain small doses for it to still give you the anorexic feeling. If you take a dosage for depression then you are probably taking alot higher than what would be needed with Phen Pro. Just a lil info for ya.

I have been on Prozac before and topamax, and lithium, and so on and so on....

Photos
    View albums

Hey Babygurlz,

I have had Dr. Anchor's website saved to my favorites for several months. I even sent him an email asking different questions, and he personally answered it. He offers many different programs other than the phen-pro. He also recommends 5-htp. It is a very interesting website! Thanks for bring this to the attention of others.

Misty

Before @ 165+

Height: 4'9"
    Before phen: 165
    SW: 161.5
    CW: 142
    GW: 120

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy: They are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Hi babygurl,

Great post! Thanks so much for letting us know. I'm very interested in this research. I've only just started Phen (22nd August 2005)30mg (known as Duromine in Australia and only available in capsule form here as far as I know).

I've also been on Effexor 150mg XR per day for about a year (Cipramil before that for about 3 years). The Cipramil made me pretty tired so my doc switched me to Effexor. I was still having daytime naps a few times a week. Both Cipramil and Effexor control the panic attacks. I've tried stopping the meds but the panic attacks return.

Anyway...back to the main point, i.e. Phen-Pro. I realise my dosage of Effexor is too high to be considered Phen-Pro with the Phen. But I've already lost 5kg (11 lbs) from 22nd August to 1st September (11 days).

I'm hoping the weight loss continues though I don't expect it will be at the rate of 11 lbs in 11 days. I've been keeping an exact log of my food intake. First week average daily cals were 955 per day. Plus I chew sugar free gum, which I have not added in (about 21 small pieces of gum a day - yeah, I know it's lots! That's three packs of 7 pieces, at around 35 cals per pack. So there's another 100 cals to add to my daily intake).

Second week - so far the average is 1193 cals per day plus the gum.

I felt dizzy this week so did not take Phen for 2 days, checked my blood pressure with my doctor. It was fine. Took Phen again but have noticed I feel a bit hungrier than when I started a week ago.

Just thought I'd add my experience with Phen together with Effexor.

Cheers,

ozgal (Julie, Melbourne, Australia)
    ozgal (Julie, Melbourne, Australia)

Height: 168cm (5'6")
    HW: 115.1kg 22.08.05
    SW: 115.1kg 22.08.05
    CW: 105.6kg
    GW: 64.0 kg

WEEKLY WEIGH IN (MONDAY MORNINGS):

WK 1: 115.1kg 22.08.05 (started Phen)
    WK 2: 110.2kg 29.08.05 (4.9kg loss)
    WK 3: 108.4kg 05.09.05 (1.8kg loss)
    WK 4: 107.4kg 12.09.05 (1.0kg loss)
    WK 5: 105.6kg 19.09.05 (1.8kg loss)
    WK 6:
    WK 7:
    WK 8:
    WK 9:
    WK 10:
    WK 11:
    WK 12:
    A smile is a curve that sets things straight

Tia
    Photos
    View albums

I really checked into all this info from Dr. Anchors last year and I went on the universitys website and guess what? No dr anchors listed!
    I also called Eli Lilly and spoke to a researcher and he said they have never done a study like this.
    I did talk my dr into trying the phen/pri combo and I have to say it didn't help.
    Maybe it will work for you! Good luck!
    SW- 275 7-2001
    CW- 183
    Body Fat % 30.9 11-1-04
    28.2 12-11-04
    Lean Muscle Mass 127 pounds 11-1
    132 pounds 12-11
    Body Fat Goal 22%

Be-Commited!
    Do-What it takes!
    Have-What you want!

Photos
    View albums

Misty....I have added 5-htp to phen and it does work very well. I bought it at Target for $8.99. When I was PMSing, the phen did not work for me. I added 150 mg of 5-htp a day, and it really helped the cravings, mood swings and you sleep very good on it!

Purple People Eater
    Photos
    View albums

For Babydoll and 2+twins

Missus

Hard work has made it easy. That is my secret. That is why I win.

-Nadia Comaneci

Photos
    View albums

Thanks Missus!

What is 5-htp?

Photos
    View albums

Hello Runnin',

I'm seriously considering starting the 5-htp soon. My PMS this month was terrible. In fact, I'm eating right now and it's 2:30 am. I've lost my mind! LOL

Misty

Before @ 165+

Height: 4'9"
    Before phen: 165
    SW: 161.5
    CW: 142
    GW: 120

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy: They are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.

Photos
    View albums

I have emailed Dr. Anchor several times. He has the patent for Phen Pro and has been using the method for years. He also wrote a book about it. He referred me to a dr a hour away from me and my friend has an appointment with him next week. I will be getting my appointment very soon as well. The DR he referred me to is Dr. Glenn Sherman. He has been using Phen Pro for a long time and he does DOZENS of test before and while you are on it. My friend has to go and have EKG's and blood work and several other test done on her first visit. He moniters his patients very closely while on Phen Pro. I see my Dr Thursday this week but I have been taking Lexapro 20 mg with my Phen 30 mg for 4 days now and I have seen a dramatic effect. I take my Phen in the morning and I take the Lexapro early afternoon. It has boosted my Phen effects and Im not hungry AT ALL. I can expect these effects to only get better because it can take 1-2 weeks before Pexapro really kicks in and can take upto 4 weeks to get the FULL benefits of the Lexapro. I will keep you posted on me and my friends progress with Phen Pro.

Platinum Phenster nickandsydsmom's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

Hi I am new here but have been reading posts for about a week. I was doing a research paper on ADHD and among the books at the library was one called "Safer than Phen-Fen" It was a book all about Phen-Prozac, I can't remember the author/doctors name though...Anyway it was a great book and that is what made me decide to try Phentermine. I start tomorrow although I am a little nervous...