Close
    Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Arrow

I have been considering phentermine for over a year now. What's holding me back? I have read on numerous other boards and labels for supplements, etc., that people with a history of depression and/or anxiety should use extreme caution when using these products. Apparently they can trigger relapses of certain symptoms and/or conditions. I have been med-free for 18 months (after being previously hospitalized for clinical depression and anxiety and being on several meds including effexor, ativan, and respirdal). I feel completely "normal" now and do NOT want to go back to that dark place, nor do I want to have to go back on those nasty meds. (Talk about weight gain...I gained 12 pounds in two weeks on the respirdal. I'm 5'1" and balooned up to 165. I went to LA Weightloss and lost about 30 pounds. Then I got pregnant -- oops! -- and gained 20 back during the pregnancy. The baby will be one year old this Sunday, January 2, and I'm still at 150.) I'd like to lose about 30 pounds. I worked out at the Y for about 5 months (circuit training three days a week) and didn't lose a single pound, although I did lose inches. It was a lot of work, with little gratification. (Although I did enjoy it and I miss it now that I'm not going.) I've considered phen (even before I went to the Y), but I'm afraid of a relapse with my depression and anxiety...any advice??

2. Advertising
    advertising

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I wouldn't advise taking it. Phen is known to make me very short tempered. It definately changes my attitude for the worse.

I do know a lot of people who don't get that side affect though...

It's all about how your body reacts to it. Everyone's different. But if you were deeply depressed I'd be careful before thinking about starting phen because it could throw you right back where you started.

Good luck!

Photos
    View albums

well.. i have suffered with panic attacks for about 6 yrs now... was on Paxil for them and got myself off of that cuz of the weight gain i experienced... since then i havent had a single attack... since starting Phen.. i havent had any anxiety or attacks... i think its just up to you.. i had to try something.. the weight was making me depressed.. so i took the risk with trying phen again!

good luck
    *253...10/31/04... Started Phen
    *190...5/25/05 and got stuck 4ever
    *184...12/31/05 finally its movin'
    *180...1/4/06
    *175...1/11/06
    *173...1/20/06
    *171...1/27/06
    *169...2/1/06
    *165...3/3/06
    *168...3/30/06
    *175...5/1/06 YIKES!
    *173...5/9/06
    *180...6/6/06

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I am on wellbutrin & zoloft for depression and I have been taking phen for almost one month. I do notice that it seems to cancel out my medication if I do not time it correctly and I start feeling a little anxious and depressed. Fortunately, my depression and anxiety are not severe enough to cause hospitalization. You should really talk it over with your doctor. It sounds like you are choosing between the lesser of two evils. Good luck!
    Start Weight: 206
    Week One: 199
    Week Two: 195
    Week Three: 195 (Time of Month)

Photos
    View albums

If you have suffered with severe depression, i would consult your doctor before taking Phentermine. Why, take a chance and risk being hospitalized? If you ask me, it simply isn't worth the risk, especially since you have a small child who depends on you. Maybe your doctor can suggest different meds with less side effects. In either case, good luck, and stick around the boards even if you decide not to take phen. Lots of people here aren't taking phen but still come for the weight loss support.
    Joan

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Thanks so much for the advice and support. Yeah, I think I probably need to talk to my doctor and get some advice. (Of course, I know what he's going to say...eat less, exercise more!) I suppose I should try "one more time" to lose the weight "on my own"...

It has been so many years (at least 7) since I have felt this good without any help from psychotropic drugs. (Depression is something I've struggled with since I was about 12...I'm 34 now. The anxiety didn't actually hit until I was pregnant with my first daughter when I was 26, and it was much easier to overcome than the depression. The depression just got worse and worse until, at 31, I found myself completely out of it...long story more appropriate on another board...)

I was just thinking last night how things around my house seem less chaotic (sure it's still busy with a one year old and an "almost" eight year old!). As recently as four months ago I struggled with a lot of anger issues...I'd just lose it and yell at anyone who got in my way, but group therapy really helped me work through that. I am absolutely determined to remain med-free. I know that the meds saved my life and that they help millions of people every day, but the withdrawals I went through when I came off after finding out I was pregnant were horrific. (Another user on a different board compared it to the heroin withdrawals she went through in her younger days. WHAT?) I just kept thinking, "This can't be good for my body."

Somebody mentioned that I was choosing "the less of the two evils"...that's exactly what it is. I know that the weight issue is also a health issue, but I think that if I can learn to accept myself for who I am and learn to love myself again (I almost like myself now, which is something I haven't done for as long as I can remember!), I really believe I can pull everything else into line...the weight, the self-esteem, etc.

I truly appreciate your responses. Good luck to you all with your goals...

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I have never been on any medication for depression, however I did suffer from deppresion in my late teens...... I have found that I have some side efects on the Phen which aren't so pleasant.... they have made me feel tiered and lazy, even sleepy in the mid afternoon. Not too mention I have a lower tolerance for annoying people ...... I have to watch it because I get a little *****y. My point is, I have had ot be very careful because the phen has given me some symptoms of deppresion. It sounds to me like you were much more severe than I was. I don't know if you should take the chance..... Check with a few doctors first.
    5'3"
    HW 160
    SW 150 01/12/04
    Goal weight- 120
    128 on my wedding day 9/10/04
    3 week honeymoon- gained 8 pounds
    Holiday season + 6 pounds
    New Weight 06/20/05 142
    07/01/05 139
    07/24/05 136 Stuck AHHHHH!!!
    mini goal by 09/10/05 125 (Second honeymoon, 1 year anniversary)
    Goal- 115-120 depending how I look
    This is me at my bridal shower August 2004 about 128