Close
    Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums
    Hi, I have been taking phentermine for 3 weeks and only lost 4 pounds. I know that I don't drink the water the way I have to. I took phentermine 1year and a half-ago for 4 months and lost 35 pounds. I went from size tight 12 to a lose 7-8.Today i gained 30 pounds back. Now I am doing the same thing as before and can't lose the weight.
    Today I received the 5-HTP. 100mg capsules and I was wondering if I should take one or two a day? Should I take one in the morning with Phentermine and another one after lunch?
    Please help me.

2. Advertising
    advertising

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I suggest just trying one in the morning. I tried it and it made me SO ILL and nautious! Some others said the same thing. So, just try it to see if you're okay with it.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums

Thanks, I will try that.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I take 2 50 mg pills in the morning so If you have the 100mg capsule just take one. Too much can cause you to get sick.
    One Good Thing About Music, When It Hits You, You Feel No Pain!
    Let The Music Unite Us All!

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

What is 5-htp? Do you use it with Phentermine? Where can you getit?

Thanks Linda

nal
    Photos
    View albums

My answer would be NONE.
    Are We Cruisin' Yet?

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

How come Nal? Do you not like it? I've heard that it can help...maybe it's b/c it makes you naseated...I guess if you feel like throwing up, you won't eat! Hmmm....maybe I need some.!!

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

LINDAWCR,

Please do some research before trying 5htp.

Yikes!
    <BR>

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Ive been on it since December and havent had any adverse side effects at all. But then again thats just me.
    One Good Thing About Music, When It Hits You, You Feel No Pain!
    Let The Music Unite Us All!

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Hi All, I posted this before:

This is from the FDA web site about 5htp, I came across it while researching Phendimetrazine. I copied and pasted the entire article and placed the link to the page.

I have no comment about this, and have no opinion one way or another. http://www.fda.gov/../../../bbs/topi.../ANS00891.HTML

August 31, 1998
    Consumer Inquiries: 800-532-4440

IMPURITIES CONFIRMED IN DIETARY SUPPLEMENT 5-HYDROXY-L-TRYPTOPHAN
    FDA scientists have confirmed the presence of impurities in some 5-hydroxy-L-tryptophan (5HTP) products currently marketed and widely promoted as dietary supplements. These products are being used as aids for insomnia, depression, obesity, and in children with attention deficit disorder. FDA's analytical results are consistent with those obtained and published by researchers from the Mayo Clinic.
    One of these impurities is known as "peak X." Although the significance of finding "peak X" and other impurities in dietary supplements containing 5-HTP is unknown, past experiences with these products suggests vigilance is warranted. "Peak X" was identified in one case of the illness eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS) associated with 5HTP in 1991. Impurities similar to "peak X" were also found in L-tryptophan that was associated with a 1989 epidemic of EMS. 5HTP and L-tryptophan are related in that 5HTP is synthesized from L-Tryphophan in the body. The exact cause of the 1989 epidemic and of the case of EMS associated with 5HTP remain unclear.

EMS is a serious systemic illness characterized by elevations of certain white blood cells and severe muscle pain. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has identified more than 1,500 cases of EMS, including at least 38 deaths associated with the use of L-tryptophan. The medical literature reports approximately 10 previous cases of EMS worldwide associated with use of products containing 5HTP.

Research has not resolved whether these EMS were caused by L-tryptophan or 5HTP, one or more impurities, or other factors. At this time, FDA is unaware of any recent illnesses associated with the 5HTP products being sold as dietary supplements. The widespread promotion and use of these products, however, began only recently.

FDA is working closely with its colleagues at CDC and NIH to monitor the situation and is consulting with other professionals and patient groups. To assist in its monitoring efforts, FDA encourages consumers to contact FDA's MedWatch program by calling 1-800-FDA-1088 to obtain information about how to report serious adverse events.

Physicians and other health care practitioners are encouraged to report such adverse events to FDA's MedWatch program by phone (1-800-FDA-1088), fax (1-800-FDA-0178) or mail (using postage-paid form) to FDA, HF-2, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20852-9787.
    <BR>

Re-incarnated Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Question

Please, anybody who is considering 5-HTP... go to 5htp.com !!!!!! Although they are selling books and product there they also have a VERY GOOD question and answer page.

As for the EMS situation...check the publication date on the previous post...the following info is current as of 2000. I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, I just think that current info needs to be taken into account when you are making your decision. Please read it and if you can afford it buy a book and read it too. This stuff is good for some people and others cannot take it (sound familiar???) I've been on it for over a year now and have had ABSOLUTELY no problems...btw, I have 3 books on it!!!! You don't see it here much, but research is my middle name.

What advantages does 5-HTP have over L-tryptophan?
    There are many advantages of 5-HTP over L-tryptophan. First of all, because it is one step closer to serotonin, 5-HTP is more effective than L-tryptophan. 5-HTP is also inherently safer. Although L-tryptophan is safe if properly prepared and free of the contaminants linked to severe allergic reaction known as eosinophilia myalgia syndrome (EMS), L-tryptophan is still produced with the help of bacterial fermentation (a situation that lends itself to contamination). In contrast, 5-HTP is isolated from a natural source - a seed from an African plant (Griffonia simplicifolia).

Evidence that this natural source of 5-HTP does not cause EMS is provided by researchers who have been using 5-HTP for over 25 years. They state that "EMS has never appeared in the patients of ours who received only uncontaminated L-tryptophan or 5-hydroxtryptophan (5-HTP)"(1). Furthermore, researchers at the NIH studying the effects 5-HTP for various metabolic conditions have also not observed a single case of EMS nor has a case of elevated eosinophils been attributed to 5-HTP in these studies.

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Yes, the information is from 2000, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't a problem in the past. The FDA hasn't updated the web site, because nothing has changed.

By the way, the original research is from the Mayo clinic. I will trust the FDA and the Mayo clinic any day over "unnamed researchers" from some web site peddling herbs.

The information is there for you to be informed. If you only rely on information from the people that are trying to sell it to you, you are sticking your head in the sand.
    <BR>

Photos
    View albums

Julia, I've been taking 50mg twice a day for about two weeks now. I personally haven't had a problem with a sick stomach. I think it is helping me because phen really didn't help me with my food cravings. I haven't lost a lot of pounds but I'm losing slowly and have lost inches. If you read the article that GrannieJudi refers to it will help with some questions. Good luck with your weight loss and I hope you get the answers needed.
    Paula
    Are we there yet ???????????

Re-incarnated Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Soccerwoman...the "NIH" is the National Institute of Health, they aren't exactly "nobody"...just wanted to clarify that.

"Furthermore, researchers at the NIH studying the effects 5-HTP for various metabolic conditions have also not observed a single case of EMS nor has a case of elevated eosinophils been attributed to 5-HTP in these studies."

[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: GrannieJudi ]

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I trust nothin better than experience itself. I've been stuck at a plateau for a few weeks. In the first month I lost 25 pounds but then it didn't work as well as it use to. Monday I bought some 5-htp and started taking 100mg in addition to my phen. I has helped tremendously. It helps to suppress my appetite alot more and I'm not dreaming about food all the time. I haven't felt sick at all.
    190/160/135<BR>started 1/09/02

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

SueBoo, Do you take the phentermine and the 5-htp together if so when do you take it? Oh, and if you don't mind me asking what dose of phen are your taking and do you only take this combo once a day?

Thanks!

Diana

Photos
    View albums
    The info at 5htp dot com said that some of the people in the study were taking 300mg THREE TIMES a day! That makes 900mg per day! I read that under the answer to question number 3. They don't make it very clear how many people took that much. Some of the other studies cited don't even mention dosage. The information is vague in my opinion. Please take time to research everything you can. That sounds like WAYYYYYY too much. Do you really need that much for it to be effective? I would think increasing phen would be better than that! I have taken 5htp but it didn't do much for me. Maybe because I only tried 100mg per day. It is one of those things that works for some but not others it seems like!

Anyway - Good Luck!
    KatDog

Phen Newbie
    Photos
    View albums
    Thank you for answering my question. I have been taking 5 HTP every morning with phentermine. I take 100mg a day and I have to say that it does not make me sick but gives me that extra kick that I felt the first time that I took phentermine. I have not lost too many pound but I fit into cloth that I have not been able to wear. I feel that if I just stick to it I will loose the weight. Some people loose faster and others loose slower. I hope that what we are doing is not harmful to us but only time will tell.
    Good luck to all of you and thank you for helping me with this

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

LadyDi, sorry about taking so long to get back to your question. I take the 30mg capsule, blue and white beads, it's the generic one. I was taking 100 mg in the morning but after learning more and more from people I'm trying 50 mg before meals(or whenever I'm feeling like a bad girl). Just whichever feels best to me. It's help alot and I've lost another 5 pounds and continuing to lose more. Good luck to you!
    190/160/135<BR>started 1/09/02