Close

Thread: Kidney Stones

kt
    Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I spent last nite in the ER with a kidney stone--never have had the problem before, and the pain is right up there with labor-and while I have been hydrating better than usual I know I am not drinking as much as I should. NAturally, being on the phen and with all of the discussion about hydration I can't help but wonder if my being on it has contributed in some way. Any ideas, similiar experiences. I'll say this it may be a serious convert to the whole good hydration gig.
    Kate

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

Red face

Geez.....so sorry kt, hope you are feeling better today.

Moon

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

kt,
    I found your post very strange because about 2 weeks after I started taking Phen I ended up in the ER passing blood. They treated me for bladder infection but the Dr on call told me that I should go to my regular dr on Monday and make sure I don't have any kidney stones. I didn't go, I was feeling better but come to find out I was told that it is possible that I passed a kidney stone. I have to agree with you it is right up there with labor pains, I had never had a problem like this before and I hope I never do again. In fact I think I almost would of rather had a baby.

Photos
    View albums

Thought maybe this might help you figure out what caused the stones and then again maybe not.

What Causes Kidney Stones?
    Sizes and Shapes of Various Stones
    Doctors do not always know what causes a stone to form. While certain foods may promote stone formation in people who are susceptible, scientists do not believe that eating any specific food causes stones to form in people who are not susceptible.
    A person with a family history of kidney stones may be more likely to develop stones. Urinary tract infections, kidney disorders such as cystic kidney diseases, and metabolic disorders such as hyperparathyroidism are also linked to stone formation.

In addition, more than 70 percent of patients with adequate hereditary disease called renal tubular acidosis develop kidney stones.

Cystinuria and hyuperoxaluria are two other rare inherited metabolic disorders that often cause kidney stones. In cystinuria, the kidneys produce too much of the amino acid cystine. Cystine does not dissolve in urine and can build up to form stones. With hyperoxaluria, the body produces too much of the salt oxalate. When there is more oxalate than can be dissolved in the urine, the crystals settle out and form stones.

Absorptive hypercalciuria occurs when the body absorbs too much calcium from food and empties the extra calcium into the urine. This high level of calcium in the urine causes crystals of calcium oxalate or calcium phosphate to form in the kidneys or urinary tract.

Other causes of kidney stones are hyperuricosuria (a disorder of uric acid metabolism), gout, excess intake of vitamin D, and blockage of the urinary tact. Certain diuretics (water pills) or calcium-based antacids may increase the risk of forming kidney stones by increasing the amount of calcium in the urine.

Calcium oxalate stones may also form in people who have a chronic inflammation of the bowel or who have had an intestinal bypass operation, or ostomy surgery. As mentioned above, struvite stones can form in people who have had a urinary tract infection.

kt
    Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Thanks for the info! I had to laff when I reread my post--I must of still been addled--couldn't spell. Anyway--thanks--

Diamond Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Smile

kt, I'm glad you're feeling better now. I have heard that passing kidney stones is extremely painful.

I have had gallstones and had surgery to remove my gallbladder. It felt like I was having a heart attack.

lose

Gold Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I've had gallstones too & they are the worst. That simple surgery was such a blessing. Although now & then I still get those phantom attacks...do you ever get those lose. Like it feels like a minor gallstone attack but I know it can't be one because I don't have a gallbladder anymore.

I've heard that many people have gallstones or kidney stones. They just don't know it because the stones are usually so small, they don't interfere with anything. I don't think it has anything to do with phen, it has more to do with how our bodies breakdown what we eat. My surgeon said gallbladder surgery is the second most common surgery in the U.S.(cesarian sections are the #1 most common).

Jen

Diamond Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Smile

Jen, that is so funny about the phantom attacks, I've had them too. It is very seldom, but when it happens I'll think did they really remove that gallbladder.

I had the surgery about 25 years ago, then it was like a major operation. I've got about an 8in. scar, I had pneumonia, and a blood clot. To heck with the good old days. lol

lose

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums
    Lose and Jener,
    This is too funny! I'm having gallbladd-
    er surgery on Wed. of this week and your
    right, it did feel like I was having a
    heart attack (although) I don't know what
    that feels like) ~ At first I thought
    the pain had to do with the "phen" but
    it wasn't the case....Lose, you had the
    surgery my Mom had....huge scar down her
    belly and it was a major surgery....
    Jenerizer,
    How did the surgery go for you? Were you
    only in pain for a day or two? That's what
    everybody keeps telling me, I've never had
    any kind of surgery before, I'm a little
    nervous....but can't wait to feel better!!
    Kt, I hope your feeling better now!!
    Take care all!
    Lisa

Diamond Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Smile

Lisa, several of my family members have had the laser surgery, they were up and going in the next couple of days.

lose

Gold Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Cool

Lisa,

The surgery is sooooooooo easy. Nothing to worry about. It's amazing how they do it...3 or 4 small incisions, then they deflate the gallbladder & take it out thru your bellybutton. It's a breeze. I was up & walking around within a couple of hours after the anesthesia wore off. (Gotta love that anesthesia tho...lol). Really though, your abdomen is going to be sore because they partially cut the abdominal muscle...take the painkillers, get lots of rest & within a few days, you are pretty much back to normal. My doctor required me to spend the night in the hospital, but I've heard of some that send you home within a few hours. And within a week, you should be back at 100%.

When I first had my gallstone attacks, my doctor couldn't figure out what it was. Then I had a major attack...I thought I was about to die, I called 911, went to the emergency room & waited for a doctor for 2 hours. By then the attack was over & by the time the doctor got in there, he claimed I had a muscle spasm & any medication he could give me would be worse than the actual pain. I wanted to kill him...lol. A month later & still no diagnosis, I had another painful attack, 911 again, emergency room again (different hospital though), nurse yelled at me for wasting her time, that pregnancy wasn't a reason to come to the emergency room. Took a pregnancy test...negative, that shut her up, but again, since I wasn't technically dying, they wouldn't do anything but send me home. Finally figured out I had gallstones when the doctor ordered a sonogram of my gallbladder. Surgery scheduled a week later & other than the minor phantom attacks now & then, all is fine.

Lose...I'm sure your surgery took a long time to recover. My surgeon told me all about how they "used to do it." OUCH!!!!! All I can say is thank god for technology!

Jen

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I had my gallbladder out in the 70's, so I have the long scar. But you are right, I thought I was having a heart attack and I was only 24. When I finally went into the emergency room, I told my dr if all he could do was shoot me, go ahead and do it. He Laughed at me!!

Diamond Phenster
    Photos
    View albums
    Hey ladies, I forgot to tell you I was nine months pregnant when I had my first attack. I thought it was my heart and went to the emergency room. The doctor that saw me, said it was false labor pains. They finally decided it was my gallbladder, but couldn't do anything until I had the baby. He was just a few weeks old when I had the surgery.

lose