Close
    Photos
    View albums

Question

Why are bananas bad when dieting? I bought some because I was dieting and thought they would be good. Now I am finding out that they are not. What's wrong with them?

2. Advertising
    advertising

Photos
    View albums

I would like to know that also. But they apparently ARE NOT good for people trying to lose weight. I know they have potassium in them...and they can cause constipation. Maybe thats why? Well hopefully a phenster will know.

Gold Phenster
    Photos
    View albums
    Hi delyette,

Bananas aren't bad for you persay. They have a very high natural sugar content. I eat half of one on my cereal in the morning. I feel the benefits of potasium and other nutrients are worth it.

I know nitra has mentioned she has problems with fruit.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Hi Delyette!

I have seen the same things that Danelady mentioned. Some 'sugar-busting' and no carb diets will say no to bananas because of the high natural sugar content. Such content might cause sugar abusers to go off on a binge. My personal opinion (OhYeah! put a lot of stock in this chubby chic you've never met!)
    is that if I'm gonna have sugar, honey, I'M GONNA HAVE SUGAR! Chocolate, ice cream, etc.
    I also believe that unless your own body and experience have told you NO (allergies) that no food group should be banned. Afterall, God put fruits, veggies, grains, meat etc. on this earth for us to eat. Now I have also noticed that there is no mention in the Bible of cheetos or snickers bars, so we might have to use a little discernment, afterall, everything is permissable but not everything is wise!

Research it and do what's right for you. Different approaches work best for different people. Just remember to chose a plan you can live with on a daily basis. And if you're goig to do some sort of jump-start diet, just be sensible and good to yourself!

Happy Health!
    Audrey

Gold Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I eat a whole banana every day! They're fast and not terribly messy if done right. I've heard they aren't good because of the sugar and high calorie content, but it's an easy way to get in a breakfast.
    ----Sammi

Photos
    View albums

Hi
    Yep bananas are bad for me due to the natural sugar and very high carb count. BUT for the average person a half a banana a day is not going to do any harm. I eat them from time to time because I like them so much. An average size banana has approx .4 gms of fat, 68.5 calories. They are a good source of potassium and have a small amount of folic acid along with others nutrients.

Photos
    View albums

Okay, so it sounds like if I am keeping my calories low then I can eat one. I am not eating alot of sugars so a banana will be okay. I just won't eat alot of them. Thanks for the help.

Diamond Phenster
    Photos
    View albums
    Bananas are bad because they PUFF UP when you mix them with water I'M SERIOUS! Please don't make me go find this answer Danelady, you go hunting I was watching this movie about boxing. I can't remember what the name was or which boxer it was about. Anyways ... he would eat bananas before he had to weigh in if he knew his weight was under. He would drink water with the bananas and this would react and make him gain weight. I know this sounds like bullsh*t, but I have never eaten bananas and drank water with them after I saw this movie. Danelady, go find out if this is true or not I will believe this until I find out if it was all made up. It scared the bananas out of me!

[This message has been edited by ROBIN (edited August 27, 2001).]

Gold Phenster
    Photos
    View albums
    Robin,
    True Can we leave it at that or do I have to go into chemical reactions and all that That would mean I would have to type a whole lot and then I would have to edit. I haven't been typing much lately. I have decided I have ADD without the hyper part. Here is some nutrient facts about bananas. Its kinda fun

A banana has less water, fifty percent more food energy, four times the protein, half the fat, twice the carbohydrate, almost three times the phosphorus, nearly five times the Vitamin A and iron, at least twice the other vitamins and minerals as an apple.

See I'm editing

[This message has been edited by Danelady (edited August 27, 2001).]

Photos
    View albums
    I guess I won't eat bananas then or I will be puff mommy and I sure don't want that.

Gold Phenster
    Photos
    View albums
    delyette,
    Just cause they puff up doesn't mean it makes more calories. It just all the fiber and water goes "POOF" They are great if you have the runs

Diamond Phenster
    Photos
    View albums
    Danelady,
    Every PUFF = 1/8 pound
    If you are going to take a chance on a banana, you need to hold your breath and this will slow down the POOFING.

Gold Phenster
    Photos
    View albums
    I'll take note of that
    Do you think if I hold my breath with a brownie it will do the same thing

Gold Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Cool

I had never heard of bananas being bad for you so I looked around the web. I found more positive things about them than negative...

Bananas are powerhouses of nutrition. One medium-sized banana contains:
    16.3 g carbohydrate
    0.8 g of protein
    0.4 g fat
    1.2 g fiber
    68.5 calories
    300 mg potassium

So where bananas get a reputation as being fattening from is unknown! As you can see, their fat content is minimal and is no higher than the average piece of fruit. The fruit is also a fair source of B vitamins (especially B6) and contains appreciable amounts of many trace minerals as well as fibre. Bananas are also good sources of phosphorous and particularly potassium, a mineral which is a vital for muscle and nerve function and for regulation of blood pressure. Bananas also have a small amount of folate (folic acid) and vitamin C.

Bananas are highly suitable for inclusion in a balanced healthy diet for weight loss. They are rich in nutrients and taste good (which can help people stick to their diet). Bananas are filling and give a good energy boost which can help dieters avoid feelings of excessive hunger and deprivation. It is important to remember that to effect weight loss the intake of energy from food and drink has to be less that the energy expended.

Some people still wrongly believe that bananas are fattening. Eating bananas may not only help in weight loss, but also in establishing good eating habits that will help maintain the weight lost.

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I eat a banana every morning.

Platinum Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Hmmm... this is the first time I have ever heard of this too? I probably don't eat enough fruit anyway *sigh* ... but...

Okay, so we need to steer clear of bananas, BUT!! if anybody starts having leg cramps, I'd recommend the banana and not worry about the puffiness!!

Rena

Diamond Phenster
    Photos
    View albums
    I know bananas are good They are one of my favorite fruits, but I like cantaloupe the best. Anyways ... I have to say anyways to remind myself to get to the point or I well be here all night. Anyways ...

You know how things get stuck in your head Well ... that's how this banana thing is now that I saw that movie. Can someone go find out if that's true or not? PLEASE!!!!

It probably isn't true, but why did they say that in the movie? Movies aren't just made up you know And that sounds to BS to be made up! It was a "real" movie. It wasn't a comedy. If Tom Hanks was in the movie and he said it, everyone would believe it was true and he would get another award.

Can someone go find the answer? Come on ... I don't ask for much No one ever answered my question about the hellium balloons in the semi truck. I still think that one is true! LOL

Anyways ... phen moment...
    You know, you are now going to believe that bananas can do this. That thought is going to stay stuck in your head and you will think twice about eating bananas from now on.

Someone go eat a banana right now and drink a glass of water and see if you gain a pound and about an hour. I will check back later

Diamond Phenster
    Photos
    View albums
    Hey RenA

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I dunno and I'm too lazy to search, but, gee, it just doesn't seem logical that bananas make you go POOF! I can see getting bloated from...um...some heavy-duty-high-fiber-bran-thingy, but bananas? Sorry Charlie, I like bananas, and I am going to eat 'em whenever I want to and just try and stop me...Fid

pjb5638
    i am just guessing. ~ i dont think the rockies. so, maybe the champ? ~ what other boxing movies are there. oh, wait, what about that one, wow that guy was hot. ~ and it was a true story about a boxer too, out 1 1/2 years ago max? is that it? ~ the guy was like? italian? i never saw it yet. wanted to. so i am not familiar with the name, come on guys, make robins day when she wakes up, help me remember the name of the movie. was it "The Boxer" >? ~
    peanut.

pjb5638

Cool

oh, and one more thing. bananas makes one of the perfect 20 foods list. ~ sorry. just a nutrition fact from prevention. i use em instead of shortening when making cookies/ etc. and i love em in smoothies/ - i make great lowfat awesome nutrition ones./ and if you think of them as 1 banana= 2 servings/ or a small one = 1, then u will be fine i believe. ~ jmho.

pjb5638
    robin???? did you see this? my comment(s)~ was it the boxer? ~~ hey guys, do i have the movie right? ~pjb

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums
    I'm new here and have been reading posts all day....having trouble being permitted to reply though..Ughhhh! You guys are all hiliarious....this banana thing is too much lol

Gold Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Bananas aren't bad for you... It basically depends on how you are eating. (Low carbs, etc.) Also 1/2 a banana is considered one serving of fruit.. so if you are limited in your fruits and you LIKE fruit, perhaps a banana might be viewed as "wasting" a serving of fruit.
    http://www.drkoop.com/nutrition/heal.../index314.html
    http://www.drkoop.com/conditions/enc...p?at=R&id=2413
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/home?id=HQ00801

Diamond Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

BANANA TRIVIA
    In 1870 Captain Lorenzo Dow Baker purchased 160 bunches of bananas in Jamaica and sailed them to Jersey City in 11 days, where he sold them for a profit. He started a partnership with Andrew Preston and some investors and called it Boston Fruit Company. 1871 Minor C. Keith went to Costa Rica and contracted to build a national railroad. Since he needed cargo and passengers for the railroad, he planted bananas alongside the tracks to provide paying fares both inland and back to the sea. 1899 Keith and his railroad companies merged with the Boston Fruit Company to create the United Fruit Company on March 30, 1899. 1899 Fruit Dispatch Company was formed to distribute bananas throughout the United States. The company broke new ground over the years in the distribution of fresh perishable produce to interior regions. 1900 Panama disease first destroyed banana farms in Latin America. 1900 United Fruit Company issued first annual report. 1903 Revolutionized ocean transportation of perishable food products by using refrigerated vessels. 1903 Company listed on New York Stock Exchange. 1904 Company perfected an unbroken string of wireless communication from the United States to South America. The first to bring this new technology to the tropics so that the ships at sea could communicate vital information with company locations in Latin America. 1907 Painted ships white to reflect tropical sun and maintain optimum temperature for bananas. The ships were referred to as The Great White Fleet. 1910 Initiated the first banana research in Latin America to develop new disease-resistant varieties. 1930 Chiquita's fleet reached 95 ships. 1930 Panama disease advanced rapidly, resulting in a dramatic decline in banana production. 1941 WWII brought the banana industry to a virtual standstill. Company ships were requisitioned by British and American governments to aid in the war effort. 1944 Introduced the name Chiquita and the Miss Chiquita character and jingle. 1947 "Chiquita" registered as a trademark in the United States. 1955Handled more than 2.7 billion pounds (1.2 billion kilograms) of fruit. 1958 Scientists recommended new varieties of bananas which were resistant to Panama disease. 1961 Began shipping pre-cut hands of bananas in cardboard boxes instead of bunches, to protect against bruising. 1963 Began the largest branding program ever undertaken by a produce marketer, accompanied by a record-breaking ad campaign which included affixing the trademark blue sticker to bananas: "This seal outside means the best inside." 1966 The Chiquita brand arrived in Europe. 1967 Chiquita label introduced in Europe.1968 First year more than 4 billion pounds (1.8 billion kilograms) of bananas were shipped and sold by the company worldwide. 1969 Awarded first patent for modified atmosphere packaging to provide a low oxygen atmosphere in individual boxes of bananas to arrest ripening during transit. 1970 Merged with AMK Corporation, which operated the John Morrell meat business; name changed to United Brands Company. 1973 The company introduced the first refrigerated container ships for transport of bananas between Latin America and Texas. 1980 Chiquita was the official sponsor and supplier of bananas to the Winter Olympic Games in Lake Placid, New York. 1984 American Financial Corporation became the majority shareholder. 1984 Chiquita took delivery of the first of four new refrigerated ships for the Panama to Europe trade. 1989 Introduced "Chiquita. Quite Possibly, The World's Perfect Food." 1990 Took delivery of first of 16 refrigerated ships in its modern fleet. 1990 Chiquita invests in major banana expansion in the Atlantic zone of Costa Rica. 1990 Changed name to Chiquita Brands International, Inc. to take advantage of global name recognition. 1991 Built a state-of-the-art banana processing plant inCosta Rica. 1992 Acquired Friday Canning Corporation, a leading private label vegetable canner. 1992 Began working with the environmental organizations Rainforest Alliance and Fundacion Ambio on the Better Banana Project. 1992 Refrigerated ships fitted with controlled atmosphere to slow the ripening process and enhanced the quality of fruit shipments. 1993 First Chiquita farm certified by the Better Banana Project; expect to have all company-owned farms certified by the end of 1999. 1994 Celebrated 50th anniversary of Miss Chiquita and held a national casting call to select a national Miss Chiquita. 1995 Completed the sale of John Morrell meat business. 1997 Chiquita bananas were certified by the American Heart Association.1997 Acquired Owatonna Canning Company and American Fine Foods. 1998 Completed the expansion of the world's largest banana processing plant located in Costa Rica. 1998 Completed the acquisition of Stokely USA Inc.1998 A new, updated illustration of Miss Chiquita is unveiled. 1999 In March Chiquita celebrated it's 100th Anniversary...and what a century it was!

*John Morrell is now a registered trademark of Smithfield Foods, Inc.

Miss Chiquita & the BANANA song
    In 1944, we introduced Miss Chiquita and became the first company to brand a banana. In the early years, we experimented with putting our name and Miss Chiquita on a paper band and wrapping it around hands of bananas. The idea of sticking labels on bananas came in 1963. Today, more than 35 years later, we still carefully place each sticker on by hand. Machines are just too rough and can bruise the delicate fruit.

Among the many different ways we've used the stickers are to promote bananas for school lunches, celebrate major anniversaries, advertise our sponsorship of the Olympics in 1980, celebrate Miss Chiquita's 50th birthday, and feature our slogan "Chiquita. Quite Possibly, The World's Perfect Food." One of our newest labels is Chiquita Jr., placed on smaller size bananas, perfect for lunch boxes and snacks.

Chances are you can sing or at least hum a few bars of the Chiquita jingle. The "Chiquita Banana" song first hit the air waves in 1944 when Miss Chiquita made her debut. It was written to help teach Americans how to ripen and use bananas, which were at the time an exotic tropical fruit. At its peak, the jingle was played 376 times a day on radio stations across the United States. It was one of the most successful commercial jingles of all time.

The song was created by a BBDO advertising agency team lead by Robert Foreman. Foreman and his staff developed the jingle using office talent, an old piano and a box of paper clips shaken to simulate maracas. Garth Montgomery wrote the lyrics and co-worker *** MacKenzie provided the music. The singer in the original 1944 recording was Patti Clayton, the first in a long line of Miss Chiquita's.

Today, it's still the "top banana" in jingles.

"I'm Chiquita banana and I've come to say - Bananas have to ripen in a certain way- When they are fleck'd with brown and have a golden hue - Bananas taste the best and are best for you - You can put them in a salad - You can put them in a pie-aye - Any way you want to eat them - It's impossible to beat them - But, bananas like the climate of the very, very tropical equator - So you should never put bananas in the refrigerator."
    Music © 1945 Shawnee Press Inc.

Over the years, the familiar music has stayed the same but the lyrics have been rewritten many times, usually to support special causes and projects. In 1997, Chiquita held a consumer contest to update the lyrics to sing the benefits of eating bananas every day. Joyce Appelquist, a fifth grade teacher from San Mateo, California, won. Here is her winning entry:

"I'm Chiquita Banana and I've come to say - I offer good nutrition for you ev'ry day - And when you buy Chiquita you will always know - You've got the best bananas anyone can grow! - Underneath the crescent yellow - you'll find vitamins and fiber - Instant energy to feel good - Our bananas make a meal good - It's a gift from Mother Nature - And a natural addition to your table - A wholesome, healthy, pure banana - look for Chiquita's label!"
    Lyrics © 1997 Chiquita Brands, Inc.
    Music © 1945 Shawnee Press Inc.

In 1999, we updated the jingle lyrics to make it more relevant for today's consumer and highlight the nutrition benefits of eating a Chiquita® banana everyday:

"I'm Chiquita Banana and I've come to say - I offer good nutrition in a simple way - When you eat a Chiquita you've done your part - To give every single day a healthy start - Underneath the crescent yellow - You'll find vitamins and great taste - With no fat, you just can't beat 'em - You'll feel better when you eat 'em - They're a gift from Mother Nature and a natural additional to your table - For wholesome, healthy, pure bananas - look for Chiquita's label!"

[This message has been edited by ROBIN (edited August 30, 2001).]

Gold Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Cool

Well I tried to find your movie about a boxer eating bananas to gain weight Robin.....

I found that bananas are good for hangovers & that it is the favorite fruit of mice, but other than that.......didn't find your movie. I have read enough about bananas to last for a lifetime...lol.

Jen

Silver Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

So what does all this mean? Are or are not bananas good for you?

Im a Chiquita banana
    and ive come to say
    If you wanna kill your teacher
    theres an easy way
    Just peel a banana
    And drop it on de floor
    And watch your teacher go slidin out de door

Sung with a spanish twang.