Close
    Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Did anyone here gain a lot of weight after a complete hysterectomy? I had one when I was 36 years old (10 years ago), and over the next few years my weight shot up from about 125 to 175. I had been thin all my life up to that point. Granted, part of the weight gain was probably because of my age, but I think that's supposed to be a "slight" weight gain - not a major one! I'm curious to know if anyone here experienced that. I have talked to quite a few women who have, but all the doctors say it wasn't the hysterectomy - I beg to differ!

2. Advertising
    advertising

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I had a "complete" hysterectomy 4 months ago & yes I gained weight( I am 24). I went from
    126 to 146ish....
    I am back on the wagon now... excersising, eating better, drinking gallons of water. I think the weight is also harder to lose since my surgery....

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

A complete hysterectomy sends your body into immediate menopause. Women who gradually enter menopause gain weight also, but since it's over such an extended period of time, it's easier to blame it on aging, less exercise, etc.

The hormones progesterone and estrogen that regulate our cycles are very interwined with our thyroids, our adrenal glands, and etc. When you remove the progesterone and estrogen, you slow your thyroid and decrease the function of your adrenals. If you have a thyroid problem, you see screwed up menstrual cycles and fatigue. If you have a problem with stress (overusing your adrenal) you see menstrual cycle problems and weight loss or weight gain. They're all very much intertwined.

A hysterectomy does have an effect on sudden weight gain, as well as making it harder to lose weight (slowing the metabolism). Birth control pills and hormone therapy (prempro, provera, etc.) do the same thing. Any Dr. who dismisses these very real side effects doesn't know what they're talking about.

I gained 30 pounds after a Depo Provera shot this spring, followed by two rounds of Provera therapy to try to get my cycles regular again. My cycles still aren't regular but there's no way I'm going back to hormone therapy. The worst part was my doctor refused to believe these had anything to do with my weight gain. I had to do the research myself to find out. He accused me of lying to him about my exercise and diet. Thank God I did some research, and found a much better doctor who knows his *** from a hole in the ground.

Bronze Phenster SuchAPrettyFace's Avatar
    Photos
    View albums

Angry

I almost doubled my body weight after having a hysterectomy! And let's not forget the charming scar that makes me feel like a frog cut open!
    My operation was four years ago and I have tried so hard to lose the weight...been on phen and off phen, even had a personal trainer, but can't get rid of that "poochy" thing over the scar.
    Any suggestions?

Abby in PA

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

Question

do you have a vertical or horizonal scar?
    Mine is a vertical from pubic bone to belly button and it makes my stomach look like a BUTT ... I hate it.
    I too would be interested in hearing any exercises etc to rid my body of it's second set of buns...

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums
    I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this topic!! I had a complete hysterectomy four years ago when I was 32. Since then I have gained about 50 pounds, I was a good 30 pounds overweight to start. I have been on Estratest (hormone replacement) ever since, and my doctor also told me that the weight gain was not related to the opperation.I was so happy to learn that I am not alone in this. I found a new doctor, the wonderful man who gave me the phen. prescription! lol And so far I am doing better than I have in a long time.I am due to go back to the doctor tues. so I won't know until then how much I have lost. (I threw the scale away at home!) But my clothes have gone from a loose 22 to a now very tight 16!!!! I have not posted in a while, but I am glad to be back. Thanks for the awesome topic!

Bronze Phenster
    Photos
    View albums

I knew it! When I feel sure of something, like that weight gain can result after a total hysterectomy, and the doctor tells me it's not true, I start wondering if it's just in my mind. I'm glad to know it's not.

I have the "smiley face" scar. I had had a flat stomach all my life until the operation, and of course now this big bulge above the scar. I haven't started trying to figure out how to get rid of that yet because I'm just trying to lose the weight. Nice to know I have that to look forward to. I would bet it will take REALLY MAJOR sit-ups for 2 hours at a time, or some gawd-awful thing like that! Or maybe I'll win the lottery and have liposuction.

One thing I find interesting: despite the fact that doctors say the hormone therapy and hysterectomy are not related to the weight gain, I ran out of Estratest right before I started using Phen (my insurance company will not cover Estratest for some stupid reason and the last 30 day supply cost me $80.00, so screw that!), and then I lost about 8 to 9 pounds within 2 weeks. I wonder how much of the loss can be attributed to stopping the Estratest? I'm afraid to go back on estrogen, so have decided that for now if it's estrogen or losing weight - gosh, which one should I choose?? My bones will have to wait for a while if they need the estrogen to stay strong.

I just think we need more female doctors who have had complete hysterectomies out there. Maybe then more studies will be done on the relationship between weight gain and hysterectomies.